London SE1 community website

Tesco Tooley Street New Tills

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 6 of 8
Wednesday 6 March 2013 10.04pm
I thought you were talking about the kind the doctor gives you for a mo', but yes I too thought it an odd choice of stock. Maybe our man can tell us how popular a purchase they are? Can't say I've ever seen anyone scanning one at the tills.
Tuesday 12 March 2013 12.57pm
I too was initially happy with this local branch but now am actively choosing to shop elsewhere. The 'suits' have certainly been watching the customer spend/clubcard info coming through their tills - and so us locals have to suffer the price rises and adoption of a till and stock layout to cater for the lunchtime office sandwich buyers.

I have never found the self-service tills easy to use (and I once worked at Tesco!) and when I had a moan to one of the helpful checkout ladies she agreed she never used them herself!

No surprise that in a recent Which? survey Tesco came last with 45% customer satisfaction (rated 2 out of 5 stars for pricing). Waitrose scored highest at 82%, Aldi 74% and Asda came in higher than Tesco at 53%.

I will be voting with my feet and spending my money at the above in the area - my bag for life no longer fits in tills, so I'm taking the hint.
Tuesday 12 March 2013 2.12pm
James Hatts wrote:
To be fair the store is clearly in a transitional period at the moment with temporary fridges and shelves - the revamp isn't due to be finished till next week.
No doubt people would have complained if they'd shut the store completely to refit and rearrange it.

agreed James!

finding a paper in the last three weeks has been a task even for us early morning types as the location has changed 5 times to my knowledge.

hopefully it will now settle down.

there have been some really cheeky price upwardly movements so now the same item can be a differing price at surrey docks, old kent road and here.
none of the three is consistently cheaper in relation to the others, there is no rhyme nor reason sometimes but tooley street is getting to be consistently more expensive for basic local resident items as it does not have the range of the other two.

YES MR TESCO - WE KNOW WHAT YOU ARE UP TO!
Tuesday 12 March 2013 11.14pm
I assume they just want the lunchtime crowd and don't particularly care about local residents coming in for the weekly shop. The terrible tills are somewhat of a giveaway. The store was great when it first opened but has looked depressing recently - I do realise they are going through a transition, but it really shouldn't take weeks to move a supermarket around and the new layout doesn't appear particularly better than the old one although I admit I'm not a supermarket manager so what do I know... More of a concern of course are the prices, which everyone has noticed have increased.

If the Tesco bigwigs read this: the new tills make life difficult for customers buying more than they are holding in their hands. The store was new and apparently did not need revamping. And please let us know whether people are actually paying the increased prices or have cottoned on and are ignoring the place...
Wednesday 13 March 2013 9.07am
unlikelyheroine wrote:
I assume they just want the lunchtime crowd and don't particularly care about local residents coming in for the weekly shop....

Exactly the same thing happened at the Borough Road branch. I can't remember the last time I bothered going in there.
Wednesday 13 March 2013 9.25am
Hi everyone, apologies that I've been absent from the discussion for a few days.

unlikelyheroine wrote:
I assume they just want the lunchtime crowd and don't particularly care about local residents coming in for the weekly shop.
Lynn448 wrote:
I too was initially happy with this local branch but now am actively choosing to shop elsewhere. The 'suits' have certainly been watching the customer spend/clubcard info coming through their tills - and so us locals have to suffer the price rises and adoption of a till and stock layout to cater for the lunchtime office sandwich buyers.

Some of the changes are certainly designed to improve our range for people buying 'food to go' (although I don't think it's right to assume that these customers are all from the surrounding offices, or that they only shop at lunchtime!). But a number of other changes, in particular the significantly increased range in our grocery and non-food areas, are intended to benefit locals and others doing larger shops.

Certainly as a team in store we don't see ourselves as serving only 'office sandwich buyers'. Convenience shoppers obviously do make up a significant proportion of our customers, but we want to offer a great experience and environment to ALL our shoppers, and I'm really sorry if the changes we've made in the refit have in any way come across as disadvantageous to locals -- the opposite of our intentions. If you have any thoughts about how we can improve what we offer to you please let us know in this thread or if you prefer in-store: please feel free to ask for me or for Mark (the Store Manager, who has also participated in this thread and is following your concerns closely).

unlikelyheroine wrote:
I do realise they are going through a transition, but it really shouldn't take weeks to move a supermarket around.

We regret that the refit has been disruptive to your shopping -- and thank you for putting up with the mess and moves while it was going on! -- but I genuinely don't think it could have been completed any more quickly without closing the shop or making significant temporary reductions in range and/or availability. Along with the changes in layout (some of which has required significant changes to the physical fabric of the building) every single shelf in the shop has been replaced and every single fridge unit has been replaced or refit -- all of this going on overnight while the normal business of getting the shop ready for the morning has continued around it!

unlikelyheroine wrote:
More of a concern of course are the prices, which everyone has noticed have increased.

Any price changes are unrelated to the refit, but coincidentally on the day that the refit finished we launched the Tesco Price Promise initiative into our stores. This gives you a voucher at the till equivalent to the difference if your comparable shopping would have been cheaper at Asda, Sainsbury's or Morrison's that day -- unlike some other such schemes, it compares 'own label' as well as branded products. If you're interested in the mechanics, you can enter your receipt number into http://www.tescopricepromise.com/ and see how it all got worked out for that particular shopping basket.

kellandj wrote:
finding a paper in the last three weeks has been a task even for us early morning types as the location has changed 5 times to my knowledge.

Yes, apologies for this -- as you will have seen since all the hoardings came down some of the most significant changes in the store happened to the bakery and convenience areas (along with a refit of the preparation rooms so that we can now offer hot porridge, hot wraps and sandwiches and freshly cooked pizza) so the products on sale in those areas did do a bit of a tour around the front of the store as everything changed around them!

Lynn448 wrote:
I have never found the self-service tills easy to use (and I once worked at Tesco!)

As I mentioned in response to a previous comment, we haven't made any changes to the number of manned tills or the arrangements for manning them -- there will always be a manned till open even if the store is empty, and if there is more than one person queueing in front of you we will open more manned tills until all are open.

nat_ash wrote:
What I find particularly strange, is the choice to sell tablets in this store - thus taking up a LOT of room where the old trolley-efficient tills were. Who on earth is going to go into this store to buy a tablet?

I think this is something of an experiment, so there may be some further changes in this area of the store in due course.

Boss St Bloke wrote:
It's fun when you have time on your hands - a leisurely stroll up and down every single blimmin aisle on a journey of discovery. But, when you need to shop-and-dash at the end of the day, well I am a confused stupid person.

I'm sorry you had the experience you describe -- in particular, we've asked all our colleagues to take you to the products you're looking for rather than just directing you to an area of the shop, so I'm disappointed that you were just sent off on your own! And I promise that the moves/layout changes are not a cynical attempt to get you to buy more things by forcing you to walk around the whole shop -- quite apart from anything else, the manpower, time and effort it takes to move whole areas of the shop around dwarfs any short-term sales benefit we could expect!

The moving is finished now with everything settled in its new long-term location; as always, please do ask us if there's anything you're not sure where to find -- and expect the member of staff you speak to to take you to the product so that we can be sure you've got it.

As always (and especially now the refit is complete) please do share any thoughts or reactions and I'll make sure they are raised in-store -- or if you have any other questions, just let me know.

Best wishes,

N.
Wednesday 13 March 2013 3.56pm
Been twice in 2 days in the afternoon and people chose to queue for manned tills rather than using the empty self-service tills.
I found the new young cashiers unfriendly, no eye contact was made, no smile. They must be tired standing up all day. Why aren't they supplied with a chair?
I am not impressed with the bread, Tesco's finest bread were much better and cheaper than the new posh brand. A plain croissant now costs 1.80, plain crazy!
Wednesday 13 March 2013 4.17pm
BHS Sainsburys also in a state of temporary disarray as it is about to close for a week to refurbish and put in some self-service tills, and start selling hot food. Presume that's a response to the trend to reduce staff(?) and (in this case) compete with growing number of take away food oulets on BHS, including new Pret opposite. Just hope it doesn't lead to them taking up the practice (as at Long Lane Tescos) of haranging queuing customers by yelling 'self-service, please, anyone for self-service' at them.

Speaking to a member of staff at Sainsburys I was told they had been reassured that they would keep their jobs. I do hope that is the case, some of the staff there are lovely, if a bit disorganised.
Wednesday 13 March 2013 9.44pm
All,

Many thanks for you patience during the refit works, I have a couple of responses..

* Fristy, as Nicholas mentions, the new price promise means when you buy 10 items or more, if it would have been cheaper in another of the major supermarkets you will receive a coupon for the difference. This really benefits our residential shoppers most.

* The new manned till design is unique to tooley street and has been designed because we recognised the importance of our residential Customers. As with all changes and unique designs it may not be perfect first time.

* The improvements in new products and ranges are mostly to support customers doing larger shops, if there are products missing please let me know.

Finally, I'm happy to talk through any of the changes, your concerns or understand when you haven't received the service you expect. Please just ask to speak to me in store.

Regards,

Mark
Wednesday 13 March 2013 9.55pm
Mark - thanks for posting.

I have moved on from Tesco Tooley Street and rediscovered my local shops (the fantastic Circle Store) and Sainsbury's on Tower Bridge Road.

To be honest, the only reason I came to Tesco Tooley was convenience (laziness) but now you have the crazy tills, high prices and pampering to lunch time sandwich brigade I won't be back.

Shame really.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 6 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions