London SE1 community website

Waitrose coming to SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Friday 15 February 2013 9.26pm
going to the shard on monday will have a nosey
Saturday 16 February 2013 4.58pm
it isn't Waitrose...full stop.
Wednesday 20 February 2013 11.59am
I was at a BSAP meeting where the 1 Tower Bridge developers gave a very heavy hint that the supermarket there would be Waitrose, but the development will not be complete until 2017 ...I suppose the supermarket could open sooner as it is in the section currently being built on the corner by the old school (to be a boutique hotel)
Saturday 2 March 2013 3.45pm
It seems the Gordon Ramsay restaurant is confirmed for Union St (Intersection with Great Suffolk st). Any updates on potential next-door Waitrose rumours?
Saturday 2 March 2013 3.49pm
Someone got confused between Great Suffolk Street and Southwark Bridge Road in another thread.

The earlier Waitrose rumour related to the Shell petrol station on SBR, not the old garage on Great Suffolk Street next to the Ramsay place.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 4 March 2013 8.24am
Just going to throw my 10 cents in. It seems rather crazy/odd to put a Waitrose in 1 Tower Bridge with one already right across the river and cannibalize it's own business. The Shard would have made more sense and capture the London Bridge commuter market.

The petrol station rumor - was due to Waitrose / Shell doing a deal for mini shops in the garages which they were testing in a few sites - not sure if that is still going ahead but planning was put in for the redevelopment of the petrol garage.

Here is to hoping however we get one ... one day.
Saturday 23 March 2013 12.13pm
Another mention of Waitrose's plans for small central London stores in the Evening Standard yesterday. They're opening one at Monument and 8 more which they won't disclose (which possibly explains previous denial), would guess there is a fairly good chance of one of them being in the London Bridge area.

http://www.standard.co.uk/business/business-news/waitrose-goes-big-on-small-stores-8545657.html?origin=internalSearch
Saturday 23 March 2013 3.11pm
I went to the Kings College planning presentation yesterday for the part of Borough High St. they own .. seemed alright and they spoke about possibility of having a Waitrose as their resident supermarket ..
Saturday 23 March 2013 3.53pm
I did notice the render used their trademark colour scheme, green and white.
Saturday 23 March 2013 4.14pm
One of the locations is Victoria Street SW1; not sure why they're "tight lipped" on that as it's mentioned in a City of Westminster development update newsletter and the planning application is available online.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions