London SE1 community website

Dog mess on Union Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Thursday 21 February 2013 12.50pm
graham wrote:
I asked the Cabinet Member for Environment about this, a few weeks ago, one of his staff said it was 'more about education than enforcement'.
Perhaps compulsory chipping of dogs will make it easier to prosecute the selfish owners.
Surely some enforcement would help educate?
Zoe
Thursday 21 February 2013 1.09pm
As a dog owner, I find that challenging people is the most effective way to deal with this problem. I politely ask other dog owners if they need a dog bag, and most owners look suitably shame faced and take the bag.

I doubt the council will be able to catch the culprits, as it's generally one or two people. However, perhaps the wardens could carry bags and offer them to dog owners, public shame can be quite effective.
Monday 25 February 2013 10.03am
I noticed that it started over Christmas Holiday. I am dog owner myself and started to avoide this place as it became poo-mine field. Thanks to irresponsible owners who can not bother (to drop in to council to collect some doggy bags or just drop in to 0.99p shop) bend their back a little - to clean up after their pet, other dog walkers are loosing green spaces.
Monday 25 February 2013 1.07pm
Sadly, there is a similar problem on Ufford Street. Why people cannot clean up after their dog is beyond me...
Monday 25 February 2013 1.31pm
I live off Long Lane and walk my dogs in Tabard Gardens park. I have always and will always clean up after my boys, it costs 1 for 150 bags from any pound shop so there really is no excuse, if someone can afford to keep a dog they can afford to clean up after it.

Sadly there are some owners who just dont seem to care and I often have to dodge piles of the stinky stuff. I've picked up other dogs mess around the block where I live on many occasions, as I don't want to A. Step in it myself or B. Have my neighbors to step in it and think its my dogs that have done it.

I have witnessed the male owner of an Alsatian watch his dog deposit on the green on Staple Street and walk away, leaving it there for others to step in.
Thursday 21 March 2013 9.38am
Last night around 6pm I heard someone screaming at another that they should "PICK UP YOUR OWN SH***!" and then something about "dogs" (and when i mean scream i mean SCREEEAAAM!)

I ran to the window and saw a lady with a staff walking through the square, I am not sure if she was the one doing the shouting or if she was the one being shouted at...

She was looking around a bit sheepish so I think it was her that was being shouted at or she was just an onlooker (from the expression on her face)

Either way it was an effective way to get the message across, there has been a mamouth, almost of horse like proportion, bit of dog mess on union street for about a week now. its beyond disgusting.
Monday 22 April 2013 9.33am
James Hatts wrote:
I was shocked by the amount of dog mess in Potters Fields Park last week.

This appears to be a wide-ranging problem. We have noticed a big increase in dog mess and general littering around our local area of Webber Row, Webber Street and Baron's Place, and even in our community gardens which we work very hard to look after ourselves.

Our current strategy is to report such incidents to the Southwark Council and to also contact our local housing officer; if this doesn't work, then our next action is to contact our local ward councillors.

The email address for Southwark is environment@southwark.gov.uk and the phone number is 020 7525 2000. It's helpful to give them as much detail as possible about the location of the littering and dog mess.

The Council has a clear written policy on making our streets cleaner (see http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200089/street_cleaning/417/litter_and_street_cleaning/1) but this seems to need some considerable reinforcement, judging by all of the comments in this thread.
Monday 22 April 2013 1.39pm
It's amazing how many people own dogs in SE1 given that it is Central London which doesn't seem to be a good place to own a dog.
Sunday 16 June 2013 3.51pm
The council has produced a set of printable posters it is asking people to put up:
http://www.southwark.gov.uk/downloads/download/3468/dog_fouling_toolkit

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 17 June 2013 8.31am
I am a responsible dog owner. I pick up after my lab however I also have noticed an increase in the area (Union St, Flat Iron Square and also Mint Street Park - even though there are dog bins).

The hard thing is if you are a good owner and pick up - people often look at you like you are not. I would welcome a few more of the additional dog mess bins on Union Street. If only as this will drive the message home to other dog users (who perhaps are not as diligent).
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions