London SE1 community website

Fave restaurants/cafes in area

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Tuesday 30 April 2002 5.18pm
Is Champor-Champor on weston street?
Wednesday 1 May 2002 3.01pm
Simply Indian on Tabard street has to be the best place for a curry in my humble opinion. Very small and compact, only 4 tables i think. Like Suchard, you can take your own booze, and i think, though i havn't tried, that you can get yourself a particularly fine pint at the Royal oak opposite and take it over to Simply. The veggie options hit the spot every time. I was dissapointed with a curry at the london bridge tandoori, but i agree they are some of the friendliest waiters in town.
Bankside restaurant on sumner street is also very good. huge portions and great value.
Thursday 2 May 2002 10.54am
>Christian asked:
>
>Is Champor-Champor on Weston Street?

Yes: 62 Weston Street, London SE1. Tel: 020 7403 4600
but the original Champor-Champor is equally highly rated:
Jalan Pantai Cenang, 07000 Langkawi Island, Malaysia. Tel : 04 - 955 1419
Friday 3 May 2002 12.26pm
Pizzeria Castello at the very top of Walworth Road, opposite the E&C shopping centre, HAS to be the best night out, best value and best food in the area. Always busy & buzzing, you sometimes see celebs (Tom Jones & Mad Frankie Fraser, I kid you not), there's live music from time to time, it's a great place for party - and above all the pizzas are the best in town.
For Indian: I'd recommend Thames Tandoori on Waterloo Road. Looks dismal from the outside, and does have a tendency to attract the drunk suits on their way home to Surrey, but the food is great, the service wonderful and the prices amazing.
Tuesday 7 May 2002 4.58pm
chop house
Tuesday 21 May 2002 9.53am
I can endorse Marcus's view of Simply Indian (Tabard St), excellent for either an eat-in or delivery. Never disappointed with the food.

City Tandoori I've always found a little disappointing. I used to go to L Bdg Tandoori often, and still do from time to time. I did see a fight in there once, with the front windows being smashed, glasses being thrown etc.. No bystanders were affected, but it wasn't pleasant. I also went with a couple of ex-colleagues, one of whom left his mobile on the table. Just before getting to the tube he realised and went back for it. All the waiters denied knowledge, said it wasn't there, hadn't seen it, another punter must have taken it, maybe he left it in a pub earlier on etc. After a few minutes and having to resort to threatening to call the police one of the waiters sheepishly produced it from a pocket and asked if it was this one?!! Haven't been back since.

Best curry near to London Bdg is Thames Spice (just off Stoney St), slightly more expensive but much better (and endorsed by a friend with indian roots, whose Mum is a great cook).

The curry house by the traffic lights where Borough High St becomes Newington Causeway (by Harper Rd) was poor.

Fina Estampa was interesting but overpriced.

tas - first class, ditto the "di Castello" pizza place at E&C. Baltic is a good bar and the restaurant also has good food. The Leather Exchange has good food. Simon the Tanner seems to have to changed from a "fusion tapas" to more "normal" starter/main menu - and is much better than it was before (and seemed busier).

There is caff on Great Suffulk St, on the south side east of Southwark Bdg Rd, that is pretty good - don't know if it does veggie. Very much a locals place (which I'm not - having only been once!).

And Champor Champor is excellent - but of course you all know that.
NA
Tuesday 21 May 2002 11.05am
And The Lobster Pot on kennington Lane is also good.
Wednesday 22 May 2002 7.47am
Simply Indian is great, my favourite place if you can get in, it's a great pity the premises are so small - it should be twice the size, I used to love their stuffed baby aubergines...
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions