London SE1 community website

One kilometre, 3m high, wall of steel around the Heygate

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Monday 4 March 2013 5.11pm
Helpful.
The point is that demolition will be starting, and this is the first thing a construction company does.
Monday 4 March 2013 5.15pm
A normal temporary hoarding round a building site doesn't require planning permission in itself - just a licence from the highway authority if it is encroaching on the pavement or road.

What's proposed here is a security fence to be erected by the council itself, not by any demolition contractor.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 4 March 2013 6.11pm
Going back to the original suggestion in the thread, can I suggest THE SLOTHFUL FOLLY, being the action of any of various slow-moving, arboreal, edentate mammals of the family Southwark Council.
Monday 4 March 2013 6.19pm
While Lend Lease are not responsible for putting the fence up, securing a site is the first step of any demolition (as highlighted by squatters in Eileen). Although I agree, why a fence vs. normal hoarding - I guess the council is just being ott secure.

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200183/elephant_and_castle/1124/heygate_estate/3

According to the council, the second phase (Kingshill, Swanbourne and Wansey Street ) are vacated hence the fence. When phase three (Ashenden, Claydon, Cuddington, Chearsley, Marston and Risborough) is vacated, the same will happen.
Monday 4 March 2013 6.40pm
mammals? you flatterer
Zoe
Monday 4 March 2013 8.29pm
Do you think we could get Banksey to paint on bits of it and later it can be sold for ridiculous amounts of money?

Also, Londonbridge69, ha, ha! This sounds very like my family, I may have to steal it for a future family photo....
Tuesday 5 March 2013 9.27am
mcheights wrote:
Helpful.
The point is that demolition will be starting, and this is the first thing a construction company does.
Stubborn.
The point could also be that - despite a lot of promises over the last umpteen years - NOTHING has started on that site.
Which is why some people don't share your optimism.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 5 March 2013 9.58am
Wonder now Ivanhoe if works will start pdq...scrap thieves will descend.perhaps that is the reason for the fence going up. I had a new fridge freezer and my old trusty one (34 years old) was put outside waiting collection,within 5 mins a man knocked at the door asking to take it..going off topic sorry.:-(
Tuesday 5 March 2013 12.59pm
Ivanhoe: I know. Which is why I am happy that something is happening! It is ott, but given squatters in Eileen, I am happy the council is securing the site so there aren't more delays.
Tuesday 5 March 2013 1.06pm
@mcheights - that there are no more delays for the developer? as there's not a shred of evidence that any single one of us living in the area now are going to 'benefit' from the degeneration in any way.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions