London SE1 community website

One kilometre, 3m high, wall of steel around the Heygate

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Saturday 20 April 2013 10.42am
@mcheights: 100% agree with you and it's refreshing to find someone being positive about the changes that are taking place in the area.

Whether one agrees or not with the proposed plan, living in the area I can see that the process of replacing the older buildings in E&C/ walworth road is now under way: demolition having taken place on St Mary's church and on Rodney Road. Obviously, the demolition of the Heygate blocks along Walworth road/ Old Kent road is a bigger milestone and fencing three of the big Heygate blocks demonstrates that this is finally happening. I also think it will be very positive for the area, obviously this is just my opinion and I respect that not everyone will agree with it.

@Luke: it's probably more cost efficient to do the demolition in the proposed phasing, it ought to make more sense from a logistics point of view too. Plus, frankly who would seriously use the interim sites knowing that there's a huge construction project running next to it (the site has been vacant for years and only squatters and production companies filming tier 3 movies have been happy to use it)? I don't think it's in Lend Lease' interest to slow down the construction process since there are more profits to be made from developing the site when credit conditions are favorable, than sitting on an empty piece of land hoping for land prices to appreciate. As with any construction jobs, delay may occur but this is inherent to any development projects and not specific to Lend Lease contract terms. I also don't care too much how it impacts Lend Lease bottom line, I'm more interested in seeing the changes taking shape.

Finally, I'd rather see Southwark council advancing the funds for demolition of the heygate blocks than have to perpetually pay for a vacant site which is no use to people living in the area today.
Saturday 20 April 2013 1.40pm
Please,PLEASE, just let SOMETHING happen. I'm so weary waiting for nigh on twelve years....and I'm going to be dead by the time it's done.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions