London SE1 community website

MyBaSE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Tuesday 5 March 2013 10.11am
Mullet,
Have you checked if you have in-built communal TV sockets which nowadays usually include terrestial and satellite sockets. I use the satellite socket on mine to receive satellite TV ( not Sky) and it is perfect,( I know it would work equally as well for Sky)
Congratulations to all you Murdoch haters and welcome to the club, it does cheer me up to hear others speaking out, I've been a member for 26 years.
Tuesday 5 March 2013 11.33am
Thanks, thebunhouse.

I've owned the flat since new but never lived there. I'll check on Friday when I move in but wanted a heads up. I can't imagine it not having fixed installations but you never know.

Fingers crossed.

Don't buy The Sun.
Tuesday 5 March 2013 11.38am
Is being unpleasant a prerequisite for being a Sky subscriber?
Tuesday 5 March 2013 12.29pm
In what sense?
Tuesday 5 March 2013 12.41pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:

Of course not. Imo, Mullet's response to Rambling Phil pointing out the bleeding obvious was witty without being unpleasant. Oh well, one man's wit is another man's put down.

However, this 'discussion' has highlighted something that I've noticed before among some of my non tv owning friends, which is a degree of what I can only describe as smug pride when they have an opportunity to announce that they don't give houseroom to the box. Are they hinting that they consider themselves somehow superior in some way because they don't 'waste' their time watching tv?
Tuesday 5 March 2013 12.47pm
Unfortunately that's why I used this forum (which I do dip into from time to time) as a last resort. The problem being that finding an answer to a simple question often deteriorates into a bout of social commentary together with some bitching from one or two keyboard warriors - not you Phil.

I've tried to delete the thread but haven't been able to do it from my phone. I'll try later from a PC.
Tuesday 5 March 2013 1.00pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:

Yes it is.

Can I ask if you have the HD package, eDWaRD?
Tuesday 5 March 2013 1.26pm
I'd agree with Spartacus - whilst Phil's initial 'banter' was possibly misplaced and unwanted, I think Phil and Mullet had dealt with the matter in a perfectly reasonable way without resorting to unpleasantness.

So I don't agree with eDWaRD's assessment on this occasion.

That said, I want people to be able to ask a sensible question on the forum and get a sensible answer - sadly people are too often put off by what they perceive as sarky/unhelpful/off-topic replies.

The long-term regulars of this forum are a key part of its success, but I'd urge them to be a little more thoughtful as to how some of the more knockabout exchanges appear to a first-time or occasional forum user.

As Mullet's original query seems to have been answered, I'll close the thread at this point.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 5 March 2013 1.27pm
Excellent, thank you.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

This thread has been closed
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions