London SE1 community website

Southbank Skate Park relocation

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7
Saturday 11 May 2013 10.27pm
Haha that's slaughtered me Merlin,I remember cameras at skate city maybe it was that film although it was quite often featured on local news etc,Duke street hill
was the beginners slope, unofficial of course,brilliant memory cheers.

petition signed.
Sunday 12 May 2013 8.54am
Nice one, Merlin. I think the Southbank needs to acknowledge and support the debt to culture the skateboarding community have brought to the area and extend the undercroft in their favour quite frankly.
Sunday 12 May 2013 2.52pm
I'm not into the skating vibe at all, never, ever got it, and, to me, one concrete bank looks like any other.

However.

These guys have been here forever. It's that rarest of things in a city that feels like an ever-expanding branch of Foxtons - a genuine cultural phenomenon. You know, the very best thing cities are supposed to be about. When we've squeezed the life out of all areas, and there's nothing left but shiny, glass fronted Carluccios, we'll be really sorry.

Sure, I might personally prefer what goes on on in the top half of the SBC, but, if we're not careful, the place will start to resemble the Barbican. Dismal, soulless dormitory for drones that it is. I despise going to gigs or anything there, simply because it's a place that has had all the life squeezed out of the area. I really hope we don't do the same thing to the Southbank.

I would have hoped the management of the Southbank would have been slightly more enlightened than this. I'd much prefer the idea that my cultural preferences (subsidised by the state) could co-exist and even help facilitate others.

Long way of saying petition signed.
Monday 13 May 2013 2.05pm
mikec wrote:
These guys have been here forever. It's that rarest of things in a city that feels like an ever-expanding branch of Foxtons - a genuine cultural phenomenon. You know, the very best thing cities are supposed to be about. When we've squeezed the life out of all areas, and there's nothing left but shiny, glass fronted Carluccios, we'll be really sorry.

I agree. There doesn't seem to be much of a London-wide debate about whether we want the city to be turned into a giant generic shopping / coffee drinking theme park.
Monday 13 May 2013 3.06pm
Probably because for most people it is already too late, perhaps we can draw a line in the sand with the undercroft.
Monday 13 May 2013 4.59pm
Tolstoy wrote:
Probably because for most people it is already too late, perhaps we can draw a line in the sand with the undercroft.
That, and this.
Friday 24 May 2013 1.48pm
I visited the South Bank consultation on this scheme and it's the usual spin. They actually have a display board that lists a selection of people's arguments who say that the skate park is a serious and historical cultural asset for London. The South Bank consultations poster then says (to paraphrase) 'Oh we do recognise this...But...we need the space anyhow if our plans are to go ahead and maximise the value of what we have here!:

Some consultation that is. The usual kind of phony listening thing. Listen then do what you always were going to do anyhow.

---
I got this email in my inbox today from Save Our Skatepark.

"The South Bank Centre has stepped up it's campaign against us and is determined to silence all our voices by shouting louder than us.

In response, a mighty ally to our cause has now emerged....

Please visit:

www.facebook.com/sosresistance

and POST as many COMMENTS on it as possible and SHARE the content (please don't just hit "like" as this is not as powerful).

Let's send a clear message to the South Bank Centre that WE are the voice of the majority!!"
Friday 24 May 2013 4.12pm
Are you really the voice of the majority or just a very vocal minority. Great old time skaters now hold positions in the media and work in law etc and have been vocal about it and are prepared to fight for their spot but itís a bit presumptuous to say you are speaking for the majority.

Yes skaters have found a use and utilized what over wise was a grotty and pointless space but given the choice about redeveloping the site and bringing back into use all the other dead spaces that simply have never worked I would suggest a great deal of people are happy with the plans.

Is moving skaters 100 yards up the road really so bad? Itís not as if they are being cleansed from the area.

Fair enough a large interest group is battling for what they perceive is an injustice but please donít try and spin it that the silent Ďmajorityí backs you all the way as youíll be just as bad as the SBC you saying is spinning the opposite.
Friday 24 May 2013 4.27pm
Don't know if we currently are the majority but will do my bit to help make sure we will be.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions