London SE1 community website

Southbank Skate Park relocation

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7
Friday 24 May 2013 4.40pm
Whether minority or majority Shiva B I do not know nor care. The argument that a number of us are making is that we think this is wrong, plain and simple.

And just for the record, your suggestion that the skating community has any power or influence here is nonsense and as evidence, it saddens me to say, that I am pretty sure that they will lose this one to those people who are more concerned with making money than maintaining a varied and vibrant London. I am not a skater, nor have I ever been one, but I am someone who will be vocal about the place where they live in the hope that it might make a difference for the better.

I hope my pessimism is misplaced and as many others as possible will continue to express their dissatisfaction with this sad development, even if Merlin Rouge is right that we are all party to yet another fake 'consultation'.
Saturday 25 May 2013 11.13am
Shiva B wrote:
Are you really the voice of the majority or just a very vocal minority. Great old time skaters now hold positions in the media and work in law etc and have been vocal about it and are prepared to fight for their spot but itís a bit presumptuous to say you are speaking for the majority.
Yes skaters have found a use and utilized what over wise was a grotty and pointless space but given the choice about redeveloping the site and bringing back into use all the other dead spaces that simply have never worked I would suggest a great deal of people are happy with the plans.

Is moving skaters 100 yards up the road really so bad? Itís not as if they are being cleansed from the area.

Fair enough a large interest group is battling for what they perceive is an injustice but please donít try and spin it that the silent Ďmajorityí backs you all the way as youíll be just as bad as the SBC you saying is spinning the opposite.

I was the one saying there is a massive spin going on from SBC based on what I saw at the phony consultation. The email I was passing on from Save Our South Bank was the one saying ' that WE are the voice of the majority'. No need to confuse the two.

So far there are close to 33,000 people who have signed the petition in support of the skaters. I'd like to see a petition that popular that proposes more shops at the South Bank particularly where the skaters are and have been for so long.
Saturday 25 May 2013 11.35am
Can't we organise a gathering/march at the site or something, get some more publicity and put some welly into it, write letters to Jude Kelly. People in power seem to be able to ignore most on-line petitions in my experience, not that it's not worthwhile doing them, and I have signed plenty about issues I feel passionate about, like this one. I hate a lot of the things they are doing to this part of south London in the name of progress. I'm very disappointed with the South Bank Centre for doing this, it wouldn't hurt to leave this little bit of London that was there before it all got so 'cool' down there! It is good to have cafes but how many do we need.
Sunday 26 May 2013 1.17pm
The South Bank consultation site reports that 2000 people have responded and that the majority want to see the plans go ahead.

http://thefestivalwing.com/s/your-feedback/#/post/what-you-said-about-our-plans/

Elsewhere another Southbank consultation site, they posted this graphic 'What is happening when?'

http://d16sfycpvpayol.cloudfront.net/images/posts/41_2013-05-09%2019:10:32%20UTC.full.jpg?1368126632

Despite the current consultation period, the image reports 'Sept 2014: Festival wing site including original undercroft, closes during construction works'.

Done deal. All sewn up.
Monday 27 May 2013 7.35am
As I feared. Short of chaining Boris to the under-croft, nothing is likely to stop them now. Of course, if this were a well orchestrated campaign we would now be threatening all the businesses planning to occupy the place with a boycott and ongoing direct action. We would also be naming and shaming those that have been behind this decision and expressing our views en masse to them and their organisations, media actions etc etc. I'd take up the banner here if I could but on this occasion will just have to hope someone else continues the good fight ...
Monday 27 May 2013 9.59am
In truth they probably never even gave much thought to 'a few people on skateboards' and it's historic significance and have probably been caught unawares by the support it has. This is typical of architectural thinking, the arrogance of assumption of their 'value to the community' without in actual fact engaging with the community already in residence. I'm always puzzled where these people live that they seem not to recognise the need for diverse, social development. An elite at odds with those little figures they put in their models.
Tuesday 28 May 2013 10.42am
If you wish to comment on the proposed closure/relocation of the South Bank Skate Park, it appears that you need to act pretty quickly as the consultation on one of the applications closes tomorrow.

Links here from the organisers of the campaign to save it:

"URGENT ANNOUNCEMENT!!! Please visit the following TWO links...REGISTER and COMMENT on the South Bank Centre's planning applications for the "festival wing".

http://planning.lambeth.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MMU2FHBO03000

AND

http://planning.lambeth.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MMU4EFBO03000

Doing this is the MOST IMPORTANT thing to do right now......notice in their description the sentence "infilling of ground floor undercrofts". This is the skate area we are trying to save.

There needs to be as many people commenting on here as there are signing the petition. PLEASE ACT NOW!!!......one of the deadlines is this Wednesday.

13/02014/FUL | Alterations and extensions to the Queen Elizabeth Hall, Purcell Room and Hayward...
planning.lambeth.gov.uk
Information about the planning service in Lambeth"
Tuesday 28 May 2013 11.46am
Have responded to both.
Tuesday 11 June 2013 10.07am
Coming back to this following a trip down to see the exhibition I was amused to read the Southbank 'support' for relocation by suggesting that the new area was possibly bigger than the undercroft, 'possibly'? What? You haven't made a careful consideration of the alternative space provided? Could that be because they hadn't expected much opposition to their proposals and haven't therefore invested much time in considering the space offered? Given the hard funding choices they claim have led to this decision how much funding is available to bring the space under Waterloo Bridge up to a standard the skateboarders would appreciate? From what I see it's going to take more than a couple slabs of concrete and kerb stone to be effective.
Tuesday 11 June 2013 12.57pm
I spoke (briefly) with council officers about this, thinking we could do something like we did at The Bird In Bush BMX track, but the whole idea of the under-croft was that it was a left-over of urban space, which added so much to the fun of it.
Also the site is in Lambeth.

There is a tiny skate park in Crucifix Lane.
If you look at the open spaces that are skate-able, many of the seats have small metal bumps to render them 'un-grindable'.
Architects have learnt from The South Bank experience and now they are designing out skate-boading, lest young people enjoy themselves without paying for it.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions