London SE1 community website

Southbank Skate Park relocation

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7
Wednesday 12 June 2013 10.36pm
I have no hassle with skateboarders, and am certainly not enmeshed in their various faction fights, but I do think that it is time the South Bank was re-engineered.

When it was built there was a road running along the river bank and the idea was that pedestrians would use the high level walkways. See London Wall, it was all the fashion. It didn't happen but that left the spaces beneath derelict. The skateboarders turned up and colonised it. Good for them. But is it an eyesore in what is now a world class tourist site.

So, if the boarders have been offered a decent way out, and I cannot judge, i think the environment for the majority should be improved.
I do live within half a km so look at it often
Thursday 13 June 2013 8.25am
One person's 'eyesore' is another person's 'vibrant London', just as one person's vision for a 'world class tourist site' (!?) is another person's 'ugly generic and downright soulless money making grab' theedy.

I also spend a lot of time on the South Bank and particularly near the skateboarding site (not skateboarding I hasten to add!) and I - like 40,000 others (judging by the petition) - love the mix of architecture, culture and variety of life that we have there at present. The variety of life has been eroded somewhat IMHO with some of the recent development after the tourist pound and I hope to God that someone wakes up soon and draws a line in the sand.
Thursday 13 June 2013 8.32am
I wouldn't necessarily disagree about improving aspects of the Southbank, but I would question such improvement is arrived at through adding yet more cafes and restaurants to what is after all supposed to be a cultural institution. And when Jude Kelly, artistic director speaks of the '...crustier sort of arts audience' you have to question the direction such change is moving toward.
Thursday 13 June 2013 9.47am
I suppose it is a world class tourist site,currently enjoyed by many many tourists judging by the amount I see gathered there watching the skaters and taking pics,what else is a world class site supposed to achieve? Does it always have to be about s?
Thursday 13 June 2013 5.01pm
Peaceful protest at RFH South Bank this weekend see at website below for details
https://www.facebook.com/events/520344094681363
Friday 14 June 2013 11.40am
...anyone going to the protest that Skatergurrl is organising tomorrow at the South Bank? If you are there are links to a leaflet that you might want to distribute on link on my post yesterday.
Friday 14 June 2013 2.26pm
I am and will be handing out leaflets.
Wednesday 15 January 2014 7.31pm
I had a walk past there on Sunday,took one of the leaflets to e mail councillors etc and forgot all about it,I shall retrieve it and get to work.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions