London SE1 community website

The wind turbine on the Strata - E&C.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Tuesday 29 April 2014 4.31pm
Such a waste of money. I doubt they were ever intended to be more than greenwash for planning purposes.
Tuesday 29 April 2014 8.31pm
Our city is full of buildings with the "green credentials" badge of honour (I will not use the word "sustainable" because it is the most ridicolously over-used boardroom bingo word of all times - by people who don't even know the meaning of engineering - and i am tired of hearing it): at the early design of stages, BSRIA scoring tables are peppered with nice sounding eco warriors measures like rooftop turbines, chp, heat recovery, natural ventilation, tea bags recycling, tofu knitting.... The equipment will indeed be installed so that the Authorities will have ticked the box and gone home satisfied, and developers will boast their Score and write about how they are saving the world on their glossy recycled paper sales brochures.
But the sad reality is that most of this equipment was never intended to function: fake payback calculations, ridicolously high spares and maintenance costs and greedy facilities maintenance contractors, unrealistic energy production calculations....
I have long ceised to be surprised to see abandoned, rusting, crumbling "green ideas" on the roof and the basement of city buildings.
The truth is that all these measures were at the very bottom of the agenda during design stage, as an unwelcome but necessary evil in the planning permission cycle, and allocated the bare minimum budget - just enough to get them to work during the commissioning stage - and that there is no incentive whatsoever (when making money is all that matters) to imlpement serious energy conservation or production measures.
Rant over....
Tuesday 29 April 2014 8.43pm
Zefrog, who lives in Strata, just said on Twitter the reasons that the turbines aren't turning is 'Legal uncertainties about maintenance. They are currently mothballed' awaiting an agreement. The stories about them being too noisy for the penthouse flats below is urban myth. But I do hear that story all the time from different places. Ha ha.

I don't think they actually ever produced any leccy. But someone who lives in Strata would know more.

As a selling point for the flats, wonder if people feel let down as presumably a tower block that generates some of it's own power must be a USP.
Wednesday 30 April 2014 9.30pm
Should be a lesson to Southwark Council to do some proper due diligence on these greenwash schemes, and add some conditions with teeth to ensuring these things are actually used rather than just being decorative.
Wednesday 30 April 2014 9.52pm
What Marco said!

See it all the time, one building was designed to collect and recycle rainwater, it was collected and then guided to the waste.
Thursday 1 May 2014 10.56am
Architect: Well 'green' is in at the moment how about some fancy turbines?
Developer: Sounds great. Will they do anything?
Architect: Well no, but they'll look good; we can always spin them round for a bit just after completion to fool people into thinking they have some purpose.
Developer: Nice! Where did you get the idea?
Architect: My mate Will Alsop did something similar at Palestra, just round the corner. Generated tons of good publicity, then chucked them away after six months; a bugger to maintain.
Thursday 1 May 2014 11.08am
For some reason I thought these turbines were part of ongoing research at LSBU through their CEREB programme
http://www.cereb.org.uk/...
Thursday 1 May 2014 11.42am
jonnyboy122 wrote:
Should be a lesson to Southwark Council to do some proper due diligence on these greenwash schemes, and add some conditions with teeth to ensuring these things are actually used rather than just being decorative.
dilligence? that'd be very nice indeed. from what we've seen in the last 4 years alone, developer can say pretty much anything that sounds good, from ooh let's have some fancy wind things on top of a building, to, seriously, whatever, and the 'burden of proof' is not on the developer or the council but on those of us who get to live with the consequences, only after the whatever fancy thing did not materialise... the council will just shrug their shoulders and go, 'oh well', if that.
'jobs' is another one. lots of planning applications will have the spiel about creating jobs for the locals. is any evidence of previous job creation ever submitted? rarely. or evidence that whoever puts in a planning application knows what the skillsets of the local unemployed people may be?
the whole system and its people leave a lot to be desired.
Thursday 1 May 2014 11.45am
I guess the research will come to the conclusion that:

...showcasing developing technologies and trialling new products in a real life setting where the results can be closely monitored..., is essentially pointless without a realistic and significantly funded maintenance structure already in place which will allow them to turn in the first instance, thereby providing something to actually monitor.

Aren't there people to cost these things before they're built? Don't we know how this works already? It's hardly a revelation they were going to be expensive to maintain. It's not quite on a par with the annual boiler check after all, is it?
Saturday 23 April 2016 10.25am
Any news on whether these turbines will ever work? Or will they just rot away up there? Is it all abandoned or still a work in progress?

Might be time to think of other uses for three large circular holes at the top of a huge tower?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions