London SE1 community website

Southwark charity buys Simon the Tanner pub

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Wednesday 27 March 2013 12.04pm
Snipe Snipe ..... Keep up the good work timmcn, I know for a fact you are fiercely local
Wednesday 27 March 2013 4.10pm
I never quite understood (or just might have missed) how the original Wheatsheaf moved to the Hop Exchange and the "new" Wheatsheaf moved in... I remember someone mentioning that the original Wheatsheaf didn't want to move back to Stoney Street, but given that the blackboard on outside says something along the lines of "The one true Wheatsheaf - don't accept any imitations" it sounds like some competition is going on. I used to go occaionally without ever becoming a regular so don't have any inside info, but I was just curious what the story was, now that we have 2 Wheatsheaves...
Wednesday 27 March 2013 4.12pm
Yeah. Soon we'll be able to put a windmill on top of the Strata and grind some corn to make our bread.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 27 March 2013 4.29pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
Yeah. Soon we'll be able to put a windmill on top of the Strata and grind some corn to make our bread.
I'd prefer wheat beer to be honest.
Wednesday 27 March 2013 5.36pm
A much better idea indeed

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 27 March 2013 11.32pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
I never quite understood (or just might have missed) how the original Wheatsheaf moved to the Hop Exchange and the "new" Wheatsheaf moved in... I remember someone mentioning that the original Wheatsheaf didn't want to move back to Stoney Street, but given that the blackboard on outside says something along the lines of "The one true Wheatsheaf - don't accept any imitations" it sounds like some competition is going on. I used to go occaionally without ever becoming a regular so don't have any inside info, but I was just curious what the story was, now that we have 2 Wheatsheaves...

At the time the Stoney Street Wheatsheaf had to close (to have it's top floor chopped off to make way for the new viaduct) the manager (Danny) took the opportunity offered by the Red Car Group to run the much bigger scale, refurbished ex-wine bar premises under the Hop Exchange. I guess they took a cheeky, commercially minded decision to use the Wheatsheaf name (and it's association with Danny) when the 'original' was closed. The Youngs refurbished 'Sheaf is now a very different environment to the pre-viaduct sticky carpet market boozer it replaced.
Wednesday 27 March 2013 11.57pm
spartacus wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:

At the time the Stoney Street Wheatsheaf had to close (to have it's top floor chopped off to make way for the new viaduct) the manager (Danny) took the opportunity offered by the Red Car Group to run the much bigger scale, refurbished ex-wine bar premises under the Hop Exchange. I guess they took a cheeky, commercially minded decision to use the Wheatsheaf name (and it's association with Danny) when the 'original' was closed. The Youngs refurbished 'Sheaf is now a very different environment to the pre-viaduct sticky carpet market boozer it replaced.
Thanks, that's kind of what I figured. Haven't been to the refurbished one yet, but I couldn't stand more than 5 mins in the Hop Exchange "edition" - smelly and loud, but not the right kind...
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions