London SE1 community website

Carluccios on B St.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Wednesday 17 April 2013 6.56pm
As much as I love Carluccio's , I do hope that Bermondsey Street can continue to develop with independant retailers and restaurants/cafes. I agree with FamilyfriendlySE1 - it is such an interesting street and needs our support to grow and develop
Wednesday 17 April 2013 10.53pm
I don't love the Carluccio's franchise, and it is for a very simple reason: I am an actual Italian.

Back home he wouldn't be able to secure a viable client base with the menus and (more importantly) prices the chain arrogantly levies over here.

In Carluccio's SE1 restaurant (at Waterloo), this is the totally misguiding (or should I say: dishonest menu):

picture upload

What they feebly call Primi (first courses) are actually antipasti (appetizers or Hors d'oeuvres), and what they describe as Secondi are what in my country we describe as Primi: back home in the old country Carluccio's would be laughed out of town with such a menu.

This is how it works in Italy:

Antipasto (appetizers or Hors d'oeuvres)

Primo Piatto (Pasta, Rice or Pizza)

Secondo Piatto (meat or fish main course)

Dolce (a dessert)

But you could well think I'm some idiot spouting away, so please do take the time to read up on the Italian Meal Structure. I have left the old country over 20 years ago, and the biggest lesson I have learned is that if I want to eat a proper Italian meal, I have to source and prepare it myself...
Wednesday 17 April 2013 11.32pm
A good logo, design and attractive looking store do not make a good restaurant.

Every time I eat at Carluccios I promise myself not to again.

Nice presentation of the space but the food is very very average. You can feel the drive to turn a profit in every dish. Not a good sign.
Thursday 18 April 2013 12.34am
therunningman wrote:
A good logo, design and attractive looking store do not make a good restaurant.
Every time I eat at Carluccios I promise myself not to again.

Nice presentation of the space but the food is very very average. You can feel the drive to turn a profit in every dish. Not a good sign.

So are the prices though.
Thursday 18 April 2013 8.48am
Carluccios is fine in comparison to other chains, but echoing what other have already said, what makes Bermondsey Street so special is its indy businesses.

I thought this is what the BSAP was meant to oversee and control. PLEASE no chains!

And seperately, does Bermondsey Street really need more restaurants? What about more galleries, or shops?
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions