London SE1 community website

Mystery Door Policy at Southwark Tavern

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Sunday 28 April 2013 8.41pm
Next time 3 guys go out for dinner, the I would happily accompany them. But not to the Southwark Tavern :-)
Sunday 28 April 2013 10.31pm
it wasn't our first choice!!
Sunday 28 April 2013 11.02pm
boroughmark wrote:
Interesting new door policy at the Southwark Tavern on a Saturday evening. No more than 2 guys allowed in together unless with girls. So us 3 mid 40s guys wanting to have a beer at 9pm last night got turned away at the door ! Couldn't quite believe it !!

I've never been in this establishment, so I've no idea if it's good, bad, or indifferent, BUT, if I was one of three guys and knew that the pub would only let two guys maximum in together, then I'd hang back and let two go in, then enter on my own five minutes later, or go in one at a time in five minute intervals.
Sunday 28 April 2013 11.16pm
Like your style deborahjoan
Monday 29 April 2013 5.52am
that assumes you know about their door policy in advance, which we didn't. Anyway if we did we wouldn't have bothered with such a tactic. we would have gone elsewhere to eat to begin with.
Monday 29 April 2013 1.52pm
boroughpaul wrote:
that assumes you know about their door policy in advance, which we didn't. Anyway if we did we wouldn't have bothered with such a tactic. we would have gone elsewhere to eat to begin with.

I did say that if I KNEW of their door policy.
You quite correctly reminded me that you did not, so I apologise for being presumptuous.
I know that you are sufficiently disenamoured of the pub now it give to a wide berth,
but at least if you are in the Borough Market area in the future and change your mind, you'll know what to do.
Monday 29 April 2013 5.40pm
It's a reasonable tactic, Deborah, but comes undone if the door staff take a dislike to the second half of the party (eg for wearing training shoes while not undertaking physical activity or wearing a loud jumper in a public place).

Frankly, I'd just not bother going in the first place if I knew they had a door policy like that. It's only a pub and there's plenty of welcoming ones in the neighbourhood.

Looking forward to seeing the e-mail response...
gdb
Monday 29 April 2013 6.51pm
Wow! They really refused you entry because you were not accompanied by someone of another gender? What century are they in? Sounds like a breach of your human rights under UK and EU equalities legislation, so report this to the police.
Monday 29 April 2013 11.46pm
gdb wrote:
Wow! They really refused you entry because you were not accompanied by someone of another gender? What century are they in? Sounds like a breach of your human rights under UK and EU equalities legislation, so report this to the police.

Nice thought gdb, but I don't think a complaint like that would fly, particularly to the police.
If you were refused entry because you were male, yes, that would probably be a breach of the law, equally if you were refused because you were female, same thing.
If you were refused entry on the basis that you were male but were not accompanied by a female, the establishment would probably plead that an excess of males and a dearth of females leads to possible violence among inebriated, frustrated males.
It would be such a grey area that the authorities would probably suggest that you forget it, and patronise somewhere different.
Tuesday 30 April 2013 1.05am
Probably unrelated but there were police at a violent incident at The Market Porter on Saturday night. I'd guess around 8pm. This involved 3 or 4 men who were turned away for being drunk. I arrived with a friend just as the police were restraining the men but customers told us they had used racist insults on the black security and bar staff.
Was there a Millwall football match on that day? I wonder if the pubs are taking desperate measures. I'm just speculating of course but I'd be extra pissed off if it happened to me and it was for that reason.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions