London SE1 community website

Mystery Door Policy at Southwark Tavern

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Tuesday 30 April 2013 9.15am
Beetroot wrote:
used racist insults on the black security and bar staff.
Was there a Millwall football match on that day?

That's a bit unfair, Beetroot, and quite a leap. I'm not really much of a football fan, but I certainly wouldn't label Millwall fans as racist and, if I were a fan, I'd be a bit offended by your comment.
Tuesday 30 April 2013 9.33am
Beetroot,
You suprise me, the inference to be drawn from your post is that drunkards are Millwall supporters, if that be the case then Millwall must have the largest fan base in the country. I am not trying to downplay the terrible things that happen under that club banner but not every example of bad behaviour can be put down to them. I no longer attend matches at the Den for various reasons and bad behaviour is one of them.

It seems that everybody is ignoring the fact that pubs can refuse to serve who they want without giving a reason as can other retailers.

For me, as a non-adventurous person, a venue that needs bouncers is not the sort of place I want to spend my money because I don't know what comes first the bouncers or the trouble. I'd rather not find out and keep away from such places. But then I am a very old git.
Tuesday 30 April 2013 10.02am
Thebunhouse wrote:
Beetroot,
You suprise me, the inference to be drawn from your post is that drunkards are Millwall supporters, if that be the case then Millwall must have the largest fan base in the country. I am not trying to downplay the terrible things that happen under that club banner but not every example of bad behaviour can be put down to them. I no longer attend matches at the Den for various reasons and bad behaviour is one of them.

I agree. I am not a Millwall fan at all, but I agree that it is a huge leap from a dodgy door policy to accusing a whole football club. My wife used to work in a Balls Brothers in the City: City types know a thing or two about drunk racist rants as well...
Tuesday 30 April 2013 12.36pm
That moment every millwall fan knows,when I meet a person for the first time at work or whatever and the conversation gets around to football teams,I know exactly how it's going to go,I will have to fend off insinuations of my good self being a knuckledragging racist homophobic thug with an appetite for very small babies.
You'll often here millwall fans referring to the man on the grassy knoll actually being a labourer from Peckham and that if you look real close you will just be able to make out the "roaring lion" badge on his lapel.

Nothing like a stereotype.

Back to thread,i'm pretty certain i've seen discrimination in play in the guise of a publican's right to refuse,I too will be interested to see what they come back with but I don't think they will be happy with the doormen giving a reason,I don't think they are obliged to and I wonder if that once they do, it could be acted upon??
Tuesday 30 April 2013 1.00pm
Yes - I took exception to the Millwall reference as well. Just for the record, they were away at Derby last Saturday so it certainly wasn't an overflow from a home game.
Tuesday 30 April 2013 1.06pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Thebunhouse wrote:
Beetroot,

I agree. I am not a Millwall fan at all, but I agree that it is a huge leap from a dodgy door policy to accusing a whole football club. My wife used to work in a Balls Brothers in the City: City types know a thing or two about drunk racist rants as well...

Not inferring that bunhouse, nor accusing a whole club, but there is often trouble around the LB Station area from a lot (not all) of Millwall fans. I've seen plenty of it.
I agree about (some of) the City types too, which I actually thought the trouble-makers at the Market Porter looked more like.
Anyway I've taken this way off topic, hopefully. I hope we hear a response from the Southwark Tavern.
Tuesday 30 April 2013 1.13pm
suziq wrote:
Yes - I took exception to the Millwall reference as well. Just for the record, they were away at Derby last Saturday so it certainly wasn't an overflow from a home game.

I also found the Millwall reference uneccessary, but they're weren't away at Derby on Saturday (27th), they were at home to Notts Forest. The week prior to that they were at Huddersfield.
Tuesday 30 April 2013 2.46pm
Oooooops - you're quite right. Derby this Saturday!
Tuesday 30 April 2013 6.37pm
Forest were plotted up at The Market Porter & there are a few nigels there this evening
Tuesday 30 April 2013 7.22pm
Back to topic: if three women would also be turned away if not accompanied by one male, the door policy would be OK (sort of).

However, I doubt those women would be denied entry...
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions