London SE1 community website

Review of Urgent Care Centre at Guy's

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Friday 3 May 2013 11.22am
Dear Edward
I'm really pleased to hear that - thank you for the feedback.

We are potentially considering doing some focus groups to gather views from patients that have used the service and the wider public - if you would be interested in being involved please do email me at Harprit.Lally@nhs.net

kind regards
Harprit

eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
I used the service once with my son regarding a suspected broken wrist and was very impressed. The doctor who looked after us was very friendly and competent; it was some of the best medical service I have received. Don't change it!
Friday 3 May 2013 11.24am
Dear Gavin
Thank you for your feedback - the details/specifics are really helpful.

We are potentially considering doing some focus groups to gather views from patients that have used the service and the wider public - if you would be interested in being involved please do email me at Harprit.Lally@nhs.net

kind regards
Harprit

Gavin Smith wrote:
I took my daughter there about six weeks ago. Was very impressed: was spotlessly clean, friendly reception staff and we were dealt with by an excellent nurse called Linda. She answered all questions and explained everything and arranged an x-ray just to be sure. Even so, we were still in and out within about an hour. Very well run.
Friday 3 May 2013 11.27am
Thank you for the feedback - glad you had such a positive experience.

kind regards
Harprit

Philpotts24 wrote:
I have used it twice and found the service/treatment to be excellent - including watching 'Scrubs' on the TV :p Many thanks.
Friday 3 May 2013 12.10pm
There was a thread called Guy's Minor Injuries Clinic a while back. This should have useful unprompted feedback.

This is what I said at the time:

"We went to Urgent Care 7 weeks ago. My daughter was checked by a GP quickly and sent by ambulance to St Thomas A&E with suspected appendicitis. They were quick, efficient and considerate. The place was very quiet on a Saturday. The impression was much better than the one I had when I last visisted Seldoc.

NB They seem to think they are not out of hours GP, but I am not sure I can pick up on the nuances between out of hours, minor injuries, urgent care...

Would definitely recommend."
Tuesday 21 May 2013 2.01pm
Urgent Care Centre at Guy's Hopsital: Engagement Event
Thank you to everyone that has responded. Great to hear about your experiences, both good and bad. We are holding an engagement event on Wednesday 29th May, 6.00pm - 8.00pm to explore people's views of Urgent Care Services which will inform our decision regarding the future of this service. Booking is essential - if you'd like to attend, please go to http://southwarkccgucc.eventbrite.co.uk/

For further information about the event please go to http://www.southwarkccg.nhs.uk/GETINVOLVED/pages/home.aspx
Wednesday 22 May 2013 10.51am
We have used the service twice, both times we were really happy with the service.
Thursday 23 May 2013 10.19pm
I went last week with an infected puncture wound to my hand that had blown up frighteningly fast. I saw an excellent nurse in about 1/2 an hour who examined me carefully, gave me good advice and prescribed an antibiotic that kicked in very fast.
I would have been in real trouble if I had not been able to obtain that help and prescription when I did and I was very impressed with the whole thing.
Please expand on this service, it is badly needed.
Zoe
Thursday 23 May 2013 10.33pm
A very similar thing happened to me Davies and I had a similar excellent experience at Guys. I then had to go see the surgeon at St Thomas and waited four hours to see someone, which really was in contrast to how quickly I had been seen at Guys.

Keep taking those antibiotics, I had to have an operation on the infection in my finger and you don't want that!
Thursday 30 May 2013 9.16am
I attended the meeting (sorry 'Engagement Event' in NHS speak) about the Urgent Care Centre yesterday. Some useful discussion over how the service could be improved and how it could better reach the population it is serving.

The Urgent Care Centre was praised for the quality and speed of its service. Interestingly it is mostly used by 20-40 yr olds and the main group attending is 'outsiders' ahead of Southwark residents, Lambeth residents then Lewisham residents.

The meeting felt the UCC should be publicised better, particularly to parents as there are fewer children attending than one might expect. One idea was to close later (10pm) in order to relieve some of the pressure on St Thomas A&E during the busy 6pm to 10pm period. This may mean opening later (10am) as well.

The UCC contract is up for renewal in January 2014. The NHS is reviewing the quality of service provided at the UCC this July. If you think the service is well-run (or not) say it now!
Tuesday 4 June 2013 12.23pm
Hello

We had a bad experience recently at the UCG. Our son was having severe breathing difficulties so we took him to the UCG. But when we got there we were told by the staff that we should go and see our local doctor first and shouldn't be here. We tried to explain now was not the time to chastise as our son was really not well, we explained that we had not been made aware of who could come here but that the local doctors surgery was always too busy anyway, and that if they didn't see our son we would take him to St Thomas'. A doctor came out and was very frosty with us initially but calmed down when she saw our son. She told us to get him to St Thomas' which we did and he was admitted for a week.

Our reservation with the UCG is being made to feel that we shouldn't be there when we needed their help. The local surgery is always understaffed and the waiting times are horrendous and we needed immediate assistance.

I think that if we feel they don't serve the community, then next time there's a potential emergency then we won't risk the faffing and shall just go straight to St Thomas' anyway.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions