London SE1 community website

2 weeks wait for GP appt. in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7
Friday 14 February 2014 8.35am
How odd, I was quite impressed when I saw Dr Wall. I had been to the doctors several times about the same complaint, and went back for more medication. This was the first time I saw Dr Wall. I got a hand-written letter from him in the post the next day commenting that he had been looking at my records and noticed that I hadn't had a blood test to rule out a particular condition, and there was the necessary instructions to go have one done. I was quite touched that he had actually thought about me after I had left the surgery and looked though my file.
Friday 14 February 2014 9.30am
Karen I wrote:
How odd, I was quite impressed when I saw Dr Wall. I had been to the doctors several times about the same complaint, and went back for more medication. This was the first time I saw Dr Wall. I got a hand-written letter from him in the post the next day commenting that he had been looking at my records and noticed that I hadn't had a blood test to rule out a particular condition, and there was the necessary instructions to go have one done. I was quite touched that he had actually thought about me after I had left the surgery and looked though my file.

Don't mean to be cruel, but after my experiences (and my wife's), whenever I needed an appointment I asked for any other doctor than Wall and would rather wait a couple of days, especially when my complaint was serious. If everybody did that, and consequently he was free more often than the other doctors, then maybe he was put under pressure to win more patients.
Friday 14 February 2014 9.43am
A quick look a the figures shows why the Blackfriars patients are happy -

1) Princess Street - 14,000 + patients

2) Blackfriars Medical - 4800 patients

Presumably if you are having a problem just search for the practices in your catchment area and pick the one with lower numbers.

I am amazed Princess Street hasn't collapsed tbh - with the sheer amount of housing coming into the area this number can only point it becoming more unsustainable.
Friday 14 February 2014 10.08am
The figures do speak volumes and you are raise a point re finding a practice with less patients-
At the end of the day PS has taken on all those patients - so they should have a standard of care. There is still no excuse for the reception not releasing appointments etc as discussed previoulsy
Friday 14 February 2014 10.19am
Does it say what the ratio of Doctors to patients is though-do Princess atreet have a lot more doctors?
Friday 14 February 2014 10.30am
But Princes St has seven doctors, and Blackfriars free, so the ratio is:

1) Princess Street - 14,000 + patients, seven doctors, 2000 patients per medic
2) Blackfriars Medical - 4800 patients , three doctors, 1600 patients per medic

The difference is significant (20%) but we're not seeing 20% longer waits, these are 200% longer - so there is something wrong.
Friday 14 February 2014 3.29pm
Re the Blackfriars GP practice this clinic has been steadily going downhill at breakneck speed to the stage that I am kept waiting yusually more than the '20 mims' curt off point... I feel there is a 2 tier system now operatimg in the UK for NHS/private patienrs. This also obviously applies in the dental gp service wherby oneoften arrives to an empty waiting room - then of course after half an hjour - well past one's pre-arranged appointment - a crowded waiting room results..

Rre Blackfriars and dentist they adcvertise for more NHS patiemts but patently cannot manage the ones they currently have.. A ludicrous situation...

Re 'the kiwi male doctor''' dr Peter Wall - I presume - was so kind and considerate - twinkle in his eye -- like Jeremy Hunt MP health minoister......... I for one certaimnly never doubted his medical expertise as I believe one contributor imploied - editor did you spot this? -- re dr Nolweun lefuvre is indeed delightful and makes me feel better psycholoicllyy........mm$

When I am kept waiting I make my objections blound and clear and frowmd pon for so doing - but speak ip for thee downtrodden in this respexct - hopefully.

I had a very serious medical condition rang blackfriars to tell me to "come next week or tomorrow cos its half day). GPs are obviously paid more and doing less and dr wall probably left due to his ill health but infomed me that he personally didn't like the way the NHS was changing under ther the present regime. I complainde re the reception wooden benches and asked for nice sofr seprate easy chairs but notjing happened and there is no orivavcy in reception with children lumped together with adukts. This cannot be apprpriate children n adults sjould always be separate.
jpm
Monday 17 February 2014 9.29pm
dee dee wrote:
you can still get afternoon apointments I think the issue was that so many people were turning up saying they were emergencies as there were waits for appointments it was causing chaos. In fairness at least they are trying to address the problems but agreed the situation is still not ideal.

Erm... no you can't. That's the problem.

You have the 'drop in' appointments which work on the principles of having very long queues to manage demand. And then there are NO prebooked apointments available for the foreseeable future. Or at least that's been my experience whenever I've tried.
Tuesday 18 February 2014 9.48am
jpm wrote:
dee dee wrote:
you can still get afternoon apointments I think the issue was that so many people were turning up saying they were emergencies as there were waits for appointments it was causing chaos. In fairness at least they are trying to address the problems but agreed the situation is still not ideal.

Erm... no you can't. That's the problem.

You have the 'drop in' appointments which work on the principles of having very long queues to manage demand. And then there are NO prebooked apointments available for the foreseeable future. Or at least that's been my experience whenever I've tried.

If we're still talking about Falmouth Road - afternoon appointments ARE available. A week ago I booked an appointment for this afternoon with the doctor of my choice. Unfortunately, I've just had a very polite phone-call from reception to tell me the doctor is unwell; I was offered a booked appointment tomorrow afternoon with a different doctor - I can't make that, so I've now got an appointment with another doctor on Friday afternoon!
Tuesday 18 February 2014 10.04am
I'm with the Bermondsey & Lansdown Medical Mission in Decima Street - they are excellent. My parents were also with this practice for many years and it was never too much trouble for them to make a home visit.
They have a 'satellite' surgery in Grange Road too.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions