London SE1 community website

2 weeks wait for GP appt. in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7
Tuesday 18 February 2014 6.30pm
i cannot fault Blackfriars...a GP surgery as it should be IMHO
Wednesday 12 March 2014 10.50am
I have been following this thread over the last few months.. and thought some of you might be interested in the Freedom of Information request response I have just received from NHS England.

“I would be grateful if you could assist me with the following queries:

(1) The location of statistics for current waiting times for GP appointments in the Southwark CCG area.

(2) What, if any, national, regional or local benchmarks there are for such waiting times in the Southwark CCG area?

(3) What does NHS England consider to be sufficient GP cover for surgeries in the Southwark CCG area?

(4) What checks (if any) are made to ensure that there is sufficient GP cover for the number of patients registered at a particular surgery? How often are these checks reviewed and by whom?”

RESPONSE
NHS England holds some information relevant to your request.

1) NHS England does not hold this information. This information is not centrally collated by NHS England. However, individual practices may hold information relating to their waiting times. I have enclosed a link to contact details for practices within Southwark CCG should you wish to resubmit your request:

http://www.nhs.uk/Services/Trusts/GPs/DefaultView.aspx?id=89832

2) NHS England does not hold this information.

3) Contractually, practices are required to meet the ‘reasonable needs of their patients’ during the core hours of 08:00-18:30 Mon-Fri excluding Bank Holidays.

4) NHS England would use information from Patient Participation Groups, Healthwatch, The National GP survey, complaints and other sources to test with practices in contract review meetings how they are meeting the ‘reasonable needs of their patients’.
Wednesday 12 March 2014 4.02pm
Blackfriars are taking new patients btw...
Wednesday 12 March 2014 6.17pm
how do you change doctors? can one person change for all family members ?
Jac
Thursday 13 March 2014 11.05am
I changed a few years back and just picked up the forms for all the family at the new surgery which we all filled in and then i took them all back. It was very easy.
Thursday 13 March 2014 8.54pm
You can't just change doctor wily nily in London, you have to be within their catchment range.
Thursday 13 March 2014 9.39pm
jinkazama wrote:
You can't just change doctor wily nily in London, you have to be within their catchment range.

For Blackfriars Medical Centre, it appears that you need to live in SE1.
Friday 14 March 2014 6.25am
that is correct. Blackfriars has a very wide catchment
Friday 14 March 2014 9.28am
NHS surgeries work on boundaries.

I tried to join Blackfriars and I was told I was outside of their boundary of which one side is halfway up Newington Causeway so if you are more towards E and C no but more towards Borough yes.

See the below link for information on choosing a practice

http://www.nhs.uk/choiceintheNHS/Yourchoices/GPchoice/Pages/ChoosingaGP.aspx

And the excerpt " The GP surgery you choose must accept you unless there are reasonable grounds to refuse you, such as that you live outside the practice boundary"
Friday 14 March 2014 10.42am
Best thing is to quickly pop in or give them a call. Probably best to avoid calling in the morning, they are usually quite busy then.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions