London SE1 community website

News International could swap Wapping for London Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Monday 15 July 2013 12.46pm
boroughpaul wrote:
...all those News International lunches on expenses

There will be some, mainly among senior execs, but the era of hacks entertaining contacts (let alone each other) on the boss's tab is largely gone.

Two most likely effects (good/bad depending on point of view) I'd say are:
- Northern end of BHS rises up the priority list for the likes of Waitrose;
- Pubs nearby become even more crowded of an evening.
Monday 15 July 2013 2.39pm
And with the (unrelated) FT having been based at Southwark Bridge for the past quarter-century, SE1 will soon become home to three national/international dailies.

By my reckoning Southwark will thus house more of those titles than any other borough - or matched only by Kensington & Chelsea if you count the Independent and its cut-down 'i' as two (the Mail being the other).

The City, which once had just about all of them in and around Fleet Street, can these days offer only the Express and the Star, just across the bridge on Lower Thames Street.

Tower Hamlets became the centre of things with the establishment of Fortress Wapping and the subsequent move by many others to the Canary Wharf area. Soon, though, it'll host only the Mirror (and the Morning Star if you wish).

Westminster houses the Telegraph, Islington the Guardian (and Lloyd's List, ditto).

In terms of UK circulation, Southwark/SE1 will overtake K&C's 1.9m to be the source of nearly 3m papers a day. Never mind the quality, feel the width...
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions