London SE1 community website

Exhibition of Barratt's major development of Blackfriars Rd.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Thursday 10 July 2014 7.46am
James - the circus will have to be remodelled as part of the new cycle superhighway from Elephant to King's Cross.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 10 July 2014 12.56pm
Ah OK, was just wondering if any plans had been announced. thanks.
Thursday 24 July 2014 1.57pm
The consultation for this project is ending soon. So far there is only one comment posted on the planning website, and that is positive about the tower and the rest of it.

We have learned that Southwark may no longer be accepting private comments to planning applications via email. It would seem that the only way to send in comments is by post or via the council website form. The actual planning site does not say so yet, however.

In any case, if you feel strongly about a 96-metre and 27-storey tower in the bit of Blackfriars Road where the council in 2010 said would not be suitable for tall buildings, read below what you can do and you have until 2 August to do it.

http://betterblackfriars.wordpress.com/2014/07/24/consultation-ending-96-metre-tower-for-st-georges-square/

I think most of us agree that anything would be an improvement to the derelict bit that is there now, but allowing a tall building there now is going to open the floodgates for any future towers anywhere in the immediate vicinity, as it will be used as a precedent. We saw this with the recent Valentine Place application.
Friday 25 July 2014 12.39pm
"We have learned that Southwark may no longer be accepting private comments to planning applications via email. It would seem that the only way to send in comments is by post or via the council website form. The actual planning site does not say so yet, however."

I'm not sure from where this misinformation springs! We are looking at improving how email and eform comments are recorderd to each planning application. We are looking at enabling comments to be made directly online and recorded to the relevant application. This is a practice that other authorities use. Of course, emailed comments, posted comments, hand delivered, etc are all accepted.
Friday 25 July 2014 2.44pm
Sorry for spreading the misinformation, have amended the article linked above. Good to see the council is reading our posts and reacting to clear our confusion!
Friday 25 July 2014 3.00pm
BARD wrote:
Sorry for spreading the misinformation, have amended the article linked above. Good to see the council is reading our posts and reacting to clear our confusion!

Glad to assist! Thank you for encouraging people to respond to consultation. I know that it can be frustrating at times, but it is important and we do take them on board.
Friday 25 July 2014 5.18pm
Have sent my comments today. I know many people who are against a very tall building on this site, however, it seems that just about every application for tall, residential buildings is approved and so several people have told me they think it's a waste of their time. I was bemused by the number of documents on the site; the affordable housing document is 31 pages long!!!!! Perhaps there could be another folder called 'documents for the lay person'. I'm not complaining though, Southwark's planning applications are far easily available than other boroughs.
Friday 25 July 2014 7.01pm
Karen I wrote:
Have sent my comments today. I know many people who are against a very tall building on this site, however, it seems that just about every application for tall, residential buildings is approved and so several people have told me they think it's a waste of their time. I was bemused by the number of documents on the site; the affordable housing document is 31 pages long!!!!! Perhaps there could be another folder called 'documents for the lay person'. I'm not complaining though, Southwark's planning applications are far easily available than other boroughs.

I would welcome any ideas as to how to make large planning applications more understandable and accessible to the layperson. We have tried drop in surgeries with low take up. Officers have attended forum meetings; however these rarely focused on the impacts or benefits of proposals themselves, rather people tend to raise broad concerns around policy. There must be a better way than sending notices and letting folks struggle through voluminous documents and plans to glean whatever they can. The best explanation of a proposal that I have seen was the video provided for London Brisge Station. Perhaps, we should require developers to provide more media/videos to demonstrate impacts of proposals. Please do let me know your thoughts and suggestions.
Friday 25 July 2014 9.54pm
I guess it is difficult because you wouldn't want to be accused of being patronising. For planning applications where there is likely to be a public reaction, the applicant could produce a summary document - for the likes of me - that has simplified elevation drawings, possibly a computer generated 3D model, location map and basic sizes and measurements. A final sheet with Q&A would help and for those who want to know more; reference the relevent document (by number ie number the documents). Finally, the summary document should go to the Plain English group for approval :)
Friday 25 July 2014 10.03pm
Karen I wrote:
I guess it is difficult because you wouldn't want to be accused of being patronising. For planning applications where there is likely to be a public reaction, the applicant could produce a summary document - for the likes of me - that has simplified elevation drawings, possibly a computer generated 3D model, location map and basic sizes and measurements. A final sheet with Q&A would help and for those who want to know more; reference the relevent document (by number ie number the documents). Finally, the summary document should go to the Plain English group for approval :)

Thank you. There are a couple of excellent ideas there! Many thanks. Keep it coming.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions