London SE1 community website

Why are there so few coffee shops in SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Sunday 19 May 2013 11.16pm
Spent over £8 on coffee in bermondsey cafe today to demonstrate to three visitors from oz we can do good coffee. Worse i have been served there! Was just hot milk! :(
Monday 20 May 2013 9.21am
Julia7239 wrote:
Spent over £8 on coffee in bermondsey cafe today
The emperor's got no clothes on!

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 20 May 2013 2.40pm
Sobo coffee is rubbish, these days that place is just another Tower Bridge Road 'caf' with a nicer shopfront. Del Aziz sell big mugs of milk.

Streetcoffee on Bermondsey Street, nice to sit outside, apart from the smokers but the coffee is nothing special and would it kill them to buy a few plates.

L'Auberge on the Old Kent Road serves good coffee and no shortage of local custom.

A good coffee stall in Bermondsey Market like the one on Broadway Market in Hackney would do a great business. If there's already one there, then I'll definitely be along Saturday morning.
Monday 20 May 2013 6.51pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
Julia7239 wrote:
Spent over £8 on coffee in bermondsey cafe today
The emperor's got no clothes on!

It was for four people. Where do you buy yours?
Monday 20 May 2013 8.23pm
Unless it's after a meal, I don't buy coffee.

I enjoy the odd cup now and then, but couldn't imagine seeking one out for pleasure. I find the whole coffee cult baffling, tbh. I especially find it odd that there are so many places that sell mainly JUST coffee. Each to their own, etc, but to me it's otaku.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 21 May 2013 2.29pm
http://foxcroftandginger.co.uk/
now this is the kind of place we need !
Tuesday 21 May 2013 3.55pm
boroughpaul wrote:

We have. Similar philosophy, including the bread, but not sure about '92 mineral salt' (food pretension too far?) and possibly the tea (check the menu, I don't drink it): Elliot's Cafe in B/Market.

I have no connection other than as a satisfied customer.
Tuesday 21 May 2013 7.48pm
spartacus wrote:
boroughpaul wrote:

We have. Similar philosophy, including the bread, but not sure about '92 mineral salt' (food pretension too far?) and possibly the tea (check the menu, I don't drink it): Elliot's Cafe in B/Market.

I have no connection other than as a satisfied customer.

I am also a satisfied customer and I think Elliot's Cafe is one of the best restaurants in SE1, if not London. They now also serve excellent breakfasts. Highly recommended!
Monday 8 December 2014 10.43am
A new cycling café MACHINE has just opened on 97 Tower bridge road! It's been a bike shop Velodro for 3 years and now it's a place combining bikes, repairs and (Monmouth) coffee. Come and see yourself!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions