London SE1 community website

A Question regarding Trinity Square

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
Friday 31 May 2013 8.18am
The majority of properties owned by the council are in the terrace facing Merrick Square & the fantastic new development . Having said that over the years the terrace has changed , there are now different freeholders of certain properties and some of the council owned properties have been bought off the council. There is still a number of properties rented from Southwark Council and managed by the JMB . In all the years I've lived here I have never seen any photographs of this terrace but there are many of the the squares and the terrace further up the street. The one great thing about the area is that the managing agents maintain the properties fantastically well, in my opinion that is what keeps the area looking so good. "The council terrace" external decorations is not managed that well. Like other streets we do have robberies , muggings & drug raids , yes folks Trinity street is not untouched!
It is a beautiful area and I love living here.
Friday 31 May 2013 8.38am
Thank you for posting on this Glodge, your obvious joy in living where you do brought a smile to my face this morning and reminded me to appreciate where I live :-).
Friday 31 May 2013 9.20am
glodge wrote:
The majority of properties owned by the council are in the terrace facing Merrick Square & the fantastic new development . Having said that over the years the terrace has changed , there are now different freeholders of certain properties and some of the council owned properties have been bought off the council. There is still a number of properties rented from Southwark Council and managed by the JMB . In all the years I've lived here I have never seen any photographs of this terrace but there are many of the the squares and the terrace further up the street. The one great thing about the area is that the managing agents maintain the properties fantastically well, in my opinion that is what keeps the area looking so good. "The council terrace" external decorations is not managed that well. Like other streets we do have robberies , muggings & drug raids , yes folks Trinity street is not untouched!
It is a beautiful area and I love living here.

Well this I never knew! I walk down there every day and couldn't have told the difference in terms of how they are decorated or maintained. Now that I know I'll keep a closer eye!

I'm amazed the council own a substantial part of the new development - I looked at the prices of those flats (assuming you mean Trinity Church Terrace that opened last year) and they weren't cheap - how does the council justify that sort of outlay?
Friday 31 May 2013 9.33am
The ones in the new development are housing association rather than council, and they came as part of the affordable housing contribution that all new developments over a certain size have to provide. You still have to be on the council housing waiting list (or possibly already be a tenant of that housing association?) to get one.
Friday 31 May 2013 9.51am
Sorry Guys St , I didn't make it clear the the terrace is opposite the new build. Old timer is right , the new development has housing association properties as part of the build.
Friday 31 May 2013 10.55am
Interesting to know - thanks.

I tell you what, if I was on the council waiting list and I ended up in one of those properties I'd be over the moon!
Saturday 1 June 2013 5.16pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
And then there's the restrictions around Tabard St, Pilgrimage St, etc.

Taken together, they benefit everyone who lives around that area, the majority of whom don't live in Trinity Street.

Tabard Street - you're not kidding. I've just been watching the morris dancing outside the Royal Oak - now, that's what I call reclaiming the streets for the people!
Monday 10 June 2013 11.25am
I have recently moved as a private tenant into a flat in Brockham Street (just behind Trinity Church - or Henry Wood Hall as now is). I can only agree with Glodge - I am going to love living here. Surely all local people can see that this area is the jewel of SE1. It is there for all to see and enjoy - and how beautiful it was yesterday for "Open Squares Day" when all and sundry could walk the hallowed turf in both Trinity and Merrick gardens.

The area has not been pedestrianised. Only through traffic has been eliminated by the road barriers - not human beings, even those who need to travel in vehicles . And it is also clear - as mentioned previously in this thread - that the congestion charge has made the main thoroughfare,Great Dover Street,quite adequate for passage of traffic whose destination is elsewhere.

Well done TNRA in arguing successfully for the restrictions. Good luck to all other residents' associations who manage to protect their areas.
Monday 10 June 2013 11.35am
denis loretto wrote:
I have recently moved as a private tenant into a flat in Brockham Street (just behind Trinity Church - or Henry Wood Hall as now is). I can only agree with Glodge - I am going to love living here. Surely all local people can see that this area is the jewel of SE1. It is there for all to see and enjoy - and how beautiful it was yesterday for "Open Squares Day" when all and sundry could walk the hallowed turf in both Trinity and Merrick gardens. The area has not been pedestrianised. Only through traffic has been eliminated by the road barriers - not human beings, even those who need to travel in vehicles . And it is also clear - as mentioned previously in this thread - that the congestion charge has made the main thoroughfare,Great Dover Street,quite adequate for passage of traffic whose destination is elsewhere.
Well done TNRA in arguing successfully for the restrictions. Good luck to all other residents' associations who manage to protect their areas.

I think we always have,well this one has anyway.

Let's not worry ourselves about the people that live in great Dover st though eh.
Monday 10 June 2013 11.52am
boroughonian wrote:
Let's not worry ourselves about the people that live in great Dover st though eh.

What do you mean? I don't think your comment makes sense.

Before the C Charge and the blocking off of the end of Trinity Street, the block of flats to the west of The Roebuck (I think it's called Shere House. The only non-new-build block between T St and GDS, i.e. the only block that's been there both before and after the changes - so I can only assume this is what you're talking about) had heavy traffic on both sides of it. It was an island of people and it was actually quite difficult to cross Trinity Street to get to it at many times of day. Nowadays, there is significantly less traffic on GDS, and almost no motorised traffic on Trinity St. The impact of traffic on the quality of life for those residents has improved a good deal.

Let's not forget that GDS is a main road. It will always be reasonably busy. You can definitely argue that people shouldn't build homes on main roads, but the fact is that for the people who have homes on the south side of GDS, they now have a lot less traffic passing their homes than they used to.

I suspect that the traffic restrictions on Tabard Street have had a similar effect on the residents in the blocks between Tabard St and GDS (although my experience was that Tabard St was never used as much as a cut-through as Trinity Street was. This is mainly due to road layout: if you're heading from Bricklayers', then Trinity St allowed people to cut south and west from GDS, but Tabard St only ever got you to Long Lane, which then filters you back onto GDS in any case.

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions