London SE1 community website

Neon lights - Eco Cleaners Tower Bridge Road/Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
Saturday 8 June 2013 7.58am
Spot on Mikec!

The LibDims are clearly coming out in force for this business. Perhaps Mr McNally if your position (at both local and national level) were consistent (at the very least, with manifesto commitments) then the voters of this area might have a little more sympathy for your arguments. Well this one might anyway. And, yes it is entirely appropriate that you should give out your contact details since you have chosen to become an elected representative of the local community and IMHO are obliged to do so. But any suggestion that private individuals should similarly post their contact details in a public forum is frankly ridiculous.
Sunday 9 June 2013 9.57am
Londonrick_79,
You prosecute the case so well for Eco Cleaners.
Light pollution is not necessarily an issue of power consumption but the effect the light has.
TBR is not Hong Kong, Shanghai, New York, Las Vegas, Tokyo or even the West End it is TBR and can well do without the lighting displays of the above because all of them are over the top and the good are lost amongst the tawdry.
Because a thing is made of expensive materials does not preclude it from looking cheap and nasty, big gold diamond encrusted Rolex watches,in my view, give bling a bad name, basically the watch is extremely good but the showcase is not. It would appear that the same applies to Eco Cleaners the cleaning is good the showcase is awful.
Wednesday 12 June 2013 1.55pm
I agree whole-heartedly with Londonrick_79

I appreciate people's point of view about it looking slightly garish, but I actually think it looks a lot less run-down than all the other shops in the vicinity!

I went in to have a mac cleaned, and the man who was working in there (who I can only asssume was Mr Patel)was extremely helpful and friendly, and also clearly very enthusiastic and passionate about the company and the work they do which was nice to see.

It's very reasonably-priced compared to other local dry cleaners. They did an excellent job, it smelt a lot nicer and less chemically than it would elsewhere, and also, I'd only put it in to get cleaned, but the lining had a number of rips in it which they had very kindly repaired without any extra charge - an item that was very tatty when I gave it to them (dirty and ripped!) was returned as good as new for literally half the price of across the road.

Please support them - they definitely deserve it.
Wednesday 12 June 2013 5.40pm
Londonrick_79 and smcc87 this forum thread is about the 'sign' above first floor level and NOT the 'service' that this company provides which you have focussed on in Great detail!

Can you imagine how it would look if every shop along this stretch of shops/homes put up a sign of this size and prominence! As timmcn has already stated above, the sign is not permitted and we will await outcome of a letter that has been sent to the owners about this.
Wednesday 12 June 2013 6.25pm
I think we all need to clearly move on. Point has been made and adjustments from what I am to understand are going to be made. I can't believe the attention that this has been given knowing the other retailers on the road that have much less than a favourable shop front and or offer.

This is a new business and looks the part, and the service delivery speaks for itself.

I would hate to think that this forum could influence it's outcome.
Wednesday 12 June 2013 7.08pm
Canchap wrote:
I think we all need to clearly move on. Point has been made and adjustments from what I am to understand are going to be made. I can't believe the attention that this has been given knowing the other retailers on the road that have much less than a favourable shop front and or offer.
This is a new business and looks the part, and the service delivery speaks for itself.

I would hate to think that this forum could influence it's outcome.

I would be interested to know what 'adjustments' you are referring to?

Also, this is a community website and therefore local opinions on this forum do count, surely?
Again, this thread is about the sign not the business itself, or any other business you mentioned.
Thursday 13 June 2013 7.15am
Thomas, from what I gathered, this thread is about the sign RELATIVE TO THE AREA. And so comparison and analysis of neightbouring businesses and their shopfronts is to be expected.

And as the sign pertains to a business, the analysis of the business along side the service it provides is, again, expected to come up during the course of reasoned and reasonable discussion on the same.
Thursday 13 June 2013 9.49am
I've not used this dry cleaners. I was going to. I looked on here for some 'reasoned and reasonable' views on the establishment, but I can find none recent. All I can find it what appear to be public outpourings of affection for dear Mr Patel and his beautiful sign from people who I've never seen contribute to the forum before. It just seems a bit odd...
Thursday 13 June 2013 3.47pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
I've not used this dry cleaners. I was going to. I looked on here for some 'reasoned and reasonable' views on the establishment, but I can find none recent. All I can find it what appear to be public outpourings of affection for dear Mr Patel and his beautiful sign from people who I've never seen contribute to the forum before. It just seems a bit odd...

Ah now, that's not entirely fair. ONe of the most effusive was local Councillor McNally. Surely you're not suggesting that politicians could be shilling or astroturfing without due cause or experience....
Thursday 13 June 2013 4.34pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
You're not alone there.

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions