London SE1 community website

Neon lights - Eco Cleaners Tower Bridge Road/Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6
Monday 3 June 2013 8.36am
Can't believe these negative responses to this cleaners. Yes there are a few in Tower Bridge Road, also there are a lot of restaurants and so many grocers and supermarkets. This is the only cleaners from miles around that uses this type of - very green - method of cleaning. Why does everyone look for the negative i.e. lighting. If you live near the river just look across at the number of buildings that leave their lights on all night, probably the same buildings that these moaners work in!!!
Monday 3 June 2013 9.47am
fusionsnow wrote:
Not to mention why there is even need for another dry cleaner in the vincinity. You've already got crystal, magic, and the big one next to barclays within a 30 second walk.

Well presumably there is enough demand to support all of them, otherwise they'd be closing down.
Monday 3 June 2013 9.50am
The lighting is not very green - the power it is using is not corporately socially responsible
Monday 3 June 2013 12.44pm
Josie B wrote:
Can't believe these negative responses to this cleaners. Yes there are a few in Tower Bridge Road, also there are a lot of restaurants and so many grocers and supermarkets. This is the only cleaners from miles around that uses this type of - very green - method of cleaning. Why does everyone look for the negative i.e. lighting. If you live near the river just look across at the number of buildings that leave their lights on all night, probably the same buildings that these moaners work in!!!

Very happy for there to be some competition (although I think it is pretty brave to set up in an area where there might already appear to be an over-supply of dry cleaners - hopefully they have a well-formulated business plan that takes all that into account...) and, as you note, they are offering a different type of cleaning process which is supposed to be greener - I have no idea about the science but time will tell on whether it works as a commercial venture. Good luck to them and anyone else who sets up / expands a business in the current climate - the more of that the better.

But regardless of all that, their advertising extends above the ground floor which is out of keeping with all the other shop fronts nearby, and they do their green credentials a huge disservice if they leave the lighting on all night. Reduce the size of the advertising and switch off the lights and perhaps the locals would have had a more positive reaction...

(And just to be clear - I do not work in one of those offices that you refer to and the office I do work in has all its lights on motion sensors so they automatically switch off when the office is empty).
Monday 3 June 2013 12.56pm
I have just spoken to LBS Planning Dept (020 7525 5403)) who tell me that two enforcement cases have been opened up to look into this.

Personally, I feel the sign is an eyesore and certainly not in keeping with the area in general. I couldn't find any planning application for it on the LBS website.
Monday 3 June 2013 2.44pm
I have to agree with Josie. I just had a suit cleaned there and the service was excellent and friendly.

I am pleased to be able to get things cleaned using environmentally friendly methods which use water rather than tetracloroethylene which produces toxic waste products as a result - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_cleaning for details...

Having spoken with them they've confirmed that they're not switching on the lights above ground level anymore. Clearly the Council needs to assess the advertisments in line with policy.

They gave me a tour of all of their new eco-friendly equipment and I think it's good to see a business investing in the regeneration of Tower Bridge Road. I for one hope that local residents will support our local businesses - especially ones which are trying to do it in an enviromentally friendly way...

Tim

Cllr Tim McNally
LibDem Member for Chaucer Ward
020 7525 7157 / 07903 967809
tim.mcnally@southwark.gov.uk
Monday 3 June 2013 4.39pm
Hi Tim
I too think that the service offered by the new dry cleaners is very good - I diod wonder on the opening day whether they had any links to the local Lib Dems (loads of badges on display)
Monday 3 June 2013 5.22pm
Hi Tim

No links - but our local MP Simon Hughes did the official opening and Cllr Poddy Clark and I also attended the opening to offer our support

Tim
Monday 3 June 2013 8.46pm
"Hi Tim

No links - but our local MP Simon Hughes did the official opening and Cllr Poddy Clark and I also attended the opening to offer our support"

Wow! Mr Patel hasn't donated money to the party recently, has he?
That's just a joke - no need to call the lawyers...

Anyhow, since you're obviously all bessie mates, maybe you can persuade him to take his fugly sign down. It looks terrible, lit up or not, and isn't in keeping with the other shop advertising on that section of street. Also he's clearly annoyed a whole bunch of local residents with the lack of consideration for the local environment and his neighbours.
TDC
Monday 3 June 2013 9.47pm
Good luck to them and anyone else who wants to invest and grow our neighborhood. My concern is that now we have two businesses (eco cleaners & Kaycee) and a neon billboard, which have disregarded planning rules, by extending advertising above the second floor. The council must enforce these rules and have them remove the offending signs. If not, this is how it could end up.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3344/3611292547_fc04ce49f1.jpg

http://www.pachd.com/free-images/korea/seoul-08.jpg

I hope the council will use their own discretion and good taste during the approval process. What is the Lib Dems vision for our neighbourhood?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions