London SE1 community website

Locals invited to help shape new identity for London Bridge area

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Monday 10 June 2013 9.35pm
i like borovia...
Tuesday 11 June 2013 12.46am
well they could start by getting network rail not to demolish se house and have the barbed wire camouflaged as trees removed from outside the shard hotel ...
Friday 14 June 2013 9.03am
I think "London Bridge Qatar" is the obvious choice.
Tuesday 2 July 2013 1.41pm
Hello

Don Campbell from Team London Bridge here. Thanks for all your interest in this project so far, we've had a very positive response all in all. I can understand where the sceptics are coming from and working in marketing I've seen and heard (and probably said) plenty of things over the years that would make the writers of Twenty Twelve cringe!

However the reasoning behind this piece of work is genuinely not a load of marketing waffle, the objective is only to come up with some way of consistently representing the area in a way that benefits everyone.

With that in mind, it would be great to get as many people to complete the online survey before it closes 5th July. In particular it would be good to have as many local residents included in this research as possible.

The result of this whole exercise will be out at the end of October. The outcomes may not be as revolutionary as renaming the area 'Borovia' (my personal favourite) but hopefully it will gain support locally and prove a worthwhile piece of work.

Thanks for your time.

Don Campbell
Team London Bridge
020 7407 4701
Tuesday 2 July 2013 11.52pm
Borovia is a former communist bloc country in the G.I Joe comic book stories. If Borovia is to replace the perfectly fine name the place has had for many years, we can rename Elephant and Castle "Gotham City" and the Tower of London "Castle Greyskull".
When marketing folk move in, it's time to move out.
Wednesday 3 July 2013 12.10am
Don I completed your survey. Did notice that it's got Southwark Playhouse and the London dungeon as being in the area.
Wednesday 3 July 2013 7.00am
Don, as the original poster of this thread, I too went through the survey. Like the previous contributor, I was disappointed to see places listed that have now moved out of the area - it does not instil confidence that this exercise is being undertaken by people who know or understand the area. Southwark has a rich and extensive industrial heritage, Borough High Street dates back centuries, the warehouses that used to occupy the banks of the Thames have fascinating stories, Dickens and Shakespear have well documented strong local ties - all of this seems to be being overlooked in a blur of "public realm, rebranding, corporate identity". Like Northbank, MidTown, Better Bankside, Team London Bridge etc , there will be another name or identity that is really not needed - but I wish your company well with the exercise, and hope it proves commercially lucrative. If you come up with something that is appearing on maps and still being used in 100 years time, I think you can safely say you will have succeeded......
Wednesday 3 July 2013 12.15pm
Don Campbell wrote:
The outcomes may not be as revolutionary as renaming the area 'Borovia' (my personal favourite)...
Don Campbell

Now Don, you so nearly got me convinced.

Until you wrote that.

To borrow a phrase from the estimable and currently omnipresent Mr McEnroe, you cannot be serious.

Mr Otter put it well: 'it does not instill confidence that this exercise is being undertaken by people who know or understand the area'.
Wednesday 3 July 2013 12.24pm
London Bridge London? just in case people get confused and think it's Arizona! EllbeeEll drops of the tongue..tic.
Wednesday 3 July 2013 12.25pm
Don - as a Walworth resident, so not quite SE1 but nearby and using the area regularly, I have to say that was a very strange survey!

Aside from things like including the London Dungeons in the list after they've moved, and describing Barbican as being in Kings Cross, what's the logic behind the list of adjectives to describe the future of London Bridge? No-one's going to respond to say that their aspirations for the area are for somewhere that's more dirty, shabby or dated. There's no space for free comment, so I can't tell you that my preferred vision for the area is a place which is supportive of small independent businesses rather than bland identikit 'luxury brands'. As a local person, I'd much rather London Bridge looked to Brixton's thriving market than Spitalfields.

I'm not sure if it's your intention, but the survey and consultation really feels like it's asking some closed, leading questions.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions