London SE1 community website

Southwark Council CEO goes back to the floor as Undercover Boss

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Thursday 25 July 2013 11.53pm
Well done to Eleanor Kelly for giving it a go.

Unfortunately upstaged by a Kennington man who voices what many of Southwark's tenants feel about their landlord:

http://grahamneale.mycouncillor.org.uk/2013/07/25/undercover-boss-on-channel-4/
Friday 26 July 2013 10.25pm
^Hi Graham! Fancy seeing you here.

Not only do Southwark Council do nothing when you complain, but if your complaint pertains to one of their colleagues, they close ranks. If you persist, through the three stages of the complaints procedure, you'll find that at each stage they procrastinate for as long as legally permissible, without conducting a proper investigation, then they endorse their colleagues' previous findings.

I went all the way to the Local Government Ombudsman, who eventually found in my favour, ordered Southwark to compensate me and made several recommendations. I received a cheque, but no apology, or even an acknowledgement, and none of the recommendations were implemented.

Eleanour Kelly can have no idea how bad things are in Southwark because its complaints department is not fit for purpose. It should be abolished and complaints investigated by an external agency - like the LGO - whose investigators are not colleagues and don't belong to the same Union.
Saturday 27 July 2013 9.06am
Years ago in my innocence I made a complaint to senior management about another colleague...which my boss just handed it back to them to deal with! and that was southwark...
TAK
Tuesday 30 July 2013 1.58pm
Jan the old one wrote:
Years ago in my innocence I made a complaint to senior management about another colleague...which my boss just handed it back to them to deal with! and that was southwark...

I've written today to Housing Director regarding senior management and lack of trust residents have into senior housing management since the debacle with Breyer Group / Southwark Councils mistakes made in managing Breyer on Draper House refurbishment. Housing Director forwarded my complaint to onsite project manager to respond! Needless to say the project manager did not condemn his superiors....

I think we're still in the old times!
TAK
Tuesday 30 July 2013 2.05pm
Russell Cronin wrote:
^Hi Graham! Fancy seeing you here.
Not only do Southwark Council do nothing when you complain, but if your complaint pertains to one of their colleagues, they close ranks. If you persist, through the three stages of the complaints procedure, you'll find that at each stage they procrastinate for as long as legally permissible, without conducting a proper investigation, then they endorse their colleagues' previous findings.

I went all the way to the Local Government Ombudsman, who eventually found in my favour, ordered Southwark to compensate me and made several recommendations. I received a cheque, but no apology, or even an acknowledgement, and none of the recommendations were implemented.

Eleanor Kelly can have no idea how bad things are in Southwark because its complaints department is not fit for purpose. It should be abolished and complaints investigated by an external agency - like the LGO - whose investigators are not colleagues and don't belong to the same Union.

I can only agree with you Russell on the three stage complaint procedure. It's an absolute joke and I never get the answers to all the questions I have asked but to all other sundry I didn't even ask I usually receive responses. It's the biggest waste of time really, but I guess that's the councils hope that people give up and go away. I've completed a few complaints procedures by now and approached the Housing Ombudsman. Will be interesting to see what the outcome of this all will be. But jumping through all these hurdles is so incredibly time consuming, I really wonder how many people just give up eventually...
I note that since April 2013 it's now only a two stage and not three stage complaints procedure.
Tuesday 30 July 2013 2.50pm
TAK wrote:

I can only agree with you Russell on the three stage
I note that since April 2013 it's now only a two stage and not three stage complaints procedure.

I agree with you both, dont give up until you have answers, even if it does mean going to the Housing Ombudsman.
TAK
Friday 2 August 2013 10.36am
Yesterday afternoon was the big day with Eleanor Kelly and Peter John of Southwark Council visiting Draper House at Elephant and Castle. Also present were MP Simon Hughes and the former chair of Homeowners Council. I like to think it was very useful a visit for everyone.
Many thanks to everyone for making the time to visit us.
Friday 2 August 2013 10.56am
Glad they turnt up, did you get to air your views?
Friday 2 August 2013 3.12pm
I wondered why there were loads of people running around cleaning inside and removing weeds outside.
Have you seen the new 'no smoking' signs just outside the entrance?
TAK
Monday 7 October 2013 4.20pm
Well, it's been over two months now since the CEO and Leader of he Council visited Draper House on 1st August 2013. I believe about 4-5 properties out of 140 were visited.

I did raise a number of issues with Ms Kelly and Mr John in the 30minute slot I was allocated and I was told those issues would be reviewed. However, it's been more than two months now since the visit and I have not heard back from anyone, nor has the council revised it's position on any of the points to date. Therefore I am left to believe that simply nothing much has happened at all apart from the visit itself.

I heard from another neighbour whom only moved in last January (after the Breyer Group debacle happened) whom was also visited by Ms Kelly that some flat internal fire door issues were picked up and resolved within no time. However, this already seems to be the only result form the visit which I find of course somewhat disappointing....
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions