London SE1 community website

Walworth Surplus Store

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Monday 8 July 2013 6.21pm
My friend went in there once to buy combats,he said the owner gave off a hostile vibe and while my friend was looking around the shop he noticed the owner had a stick very close to my friends feet.My chum was convinced this was some sort of tripping measure.I spoke to the Bakers opposite last week,he said some of the goods were out on the street and people were helping themselves..The amount of dust in that window display was frankly hilarious..I echo the comments about the shop on the cut.
Zoe
Tuesday 9 July 2013 6.18am
I like the shop on The Cut but it never seems very busy, so I encourage everyone to visit to help it stay in business.
Tuesday 9 July 2013 10.51am
Zoe:
'like'
Tuesday 9 July 2013 2.41pm
I once asked to pay for a Fred Perry top by credit card in there, that didnít go down too well! There used to be another army surplus along London Road near the Elephant, 20 odd years ago?

The one in the Cut is pretty friendly and well stocked. Or Silvermans in Mile End is a huge place thatís been there donkeys years
Tuesday 9 July 2013 3.43pm
a legend has passed.... remember him from my youth....scared me to death....
Tuesday 9 July 2013 10.08pm
Question is - what will take it's place?
Wednesday 10 July 2013 1.58pm
Michael P wrote:
There used to be another army surplus along London Road near the Elephant, 20 odd years ago?

Yes, on London Road at the corner with Garden Row. There's a minimarket there now:

In 1977, they had a huge stock of genuine 2nd Pattern (1944, half length zipper, but darker in colour to the first version) War Department Denison Smocks: I brought one for $8.50. Now they sell for several hundred!

Also, the staff there welcomed customers and treated them well, rather than regarding them with suspicious contempt and manners that would have made Basil Fawlty look like host of the year by comparison.

The man running the store on Walworth road had no idea or interest in militaria: the single time I visited his establishment, I was looking for genuine issue clothing in rip-stop poplin.

He had no idea what this was, and felt obviously so threatened by my enquiry that he became extremely rude and abusive.

As far as I'm concerned, this isn't a great local business that sadly is no longer, but an event that I am not going to shed a tear over.

I only hope that the premises don't become another payday lender or mobile phone shop...
Wednesday 10 July 2013 7.39pm
Wow! I wasn't aware there was a collectors market for camo gear.
Wednesday 10 July 2013 11.15pm
Tolstoy, get with the programme!
Thursday 11 July 2013 8.20am
The London Road Surplus store was a couple of doors further back, the shop on the corner was the ice cream parlour.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions