London SE1 community website

Walworth Surplus Store

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Thursday 11 July 2013 8.41am
Methinks the shop on the corner was an undertakers, next was the surplus store and then "Ferraros"(?) the wonderful ice cream parlour. Not sure of their name but I am sure that, on days like we are having at the moment, it was well worth walking from the Ring to indulge and you had to eat it straight away because it would have melted before you got home.
Thursday 11 July 2013 10.14am
Tolstoy wrote:
Wow! I wasn't aware there was a collectors market for camo gear.

There are loads of them around, but they're so good you don't see them.
Thursday 11 July 2013 11.11am
I know camo gear's a 'thing', I have the definitive DPM tome, just didn't realise it sold for those kinds of numbers.
Thursday 11 July 2013 11.47am
Rambling Phil wrote:
Tolstoy wrote:

There are loads of them around, but they're so good you don't see them.

Lol
Thursday 11 July 2013 12.49pm
Thebunhouse wrote:
Methinks the shop on the corner was an undertakers, next was the surplus store and then "Ferraros"(?) the wonderful ice cream parlour. Not sure of their name but I am sure that, on days like we are having at the moment, it was well worth walking from the Ring to indulge and you had to eat it straight away because it would have melted before you got home.

You may be right about the undertakers (or was it a laundrette?) but the ice cream shop was definitely next door to that. The surplus store was the other side of the ice cream shop, it used to spill onto the pavement with a canopy that looked like it was made from old doors.
Used to love the ice cream in the parlour, remember the old boy in there seemed to have only one tooth!
Thursday 11 July 2013 3.02pm
Modman wrote:
You may be right about the undertakers (or was it a laundrette?) but the ice cream shop was definitely next door to that. The surplus store was the other side of the ice cream shop, it used to spill onto the pavement with a canopy that looked like it was made from old doors.

I sort of recall the undertakers was on the corner. It became a furniture shop sometime after and the launderette was next door. Before it was a launderette it was the ice cream parlour (thatís what we used to call it) and all three businesses were run by the Ferraro (?) brothers. Modman, you are right, the army surplus store was next door to the ice cream parlour/launderette and I remember that canopy too (funny how you forget things until someone jogs the doings from within the old grey matter)
Friday 12 July 2013 12.29pm
Tolstoy wrote:

It's not as much for camo itself (though there are plenty of collectors).

The militaria collecting scene is far bigger, and prices are decided by supply and demand: the Denison Smock is rare since it was a garment only issued to elite airborne troops and SOE field operatives: non too many of them were produced and they would still command a high price even if not featuring a camo pattern.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions