London SE1 community website

Elephant & Castle Northern Roundabout - latest plans

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 19 of 22
Friday 22 August 2014 2.04pm
The deluded nonsense at the heart of the proposals makes incredible reading in TfL's new consultation report.

They repeatedly bang on about risks to pedestrians yet also finally admit that pedestrian safety at the junction is currently not at all worse than average in London. And we have the MET police data confirming the subways are actually safer than surface level in the area. "The proportion of collisions involving pedestrians is in line with the TLRN (The London Road Network) average at around 5.5%."

How can removing space 100% for pedestrians and forcing them to share it with vehicles and have a few fleeting seconds to cross 8 lanes of traffic (yes The Ring road has grown by a lane in the new plan).

Reading on the report refers to the numerous various alternative proposals submitted, revealing that the design is of course a second rate discount option rather than the best that can be done"

"The most common suggestion was a request to explore the possibility of putting the traffic underground as this would completely remove traffic from the area and improve the environment and the area for cyclists and pedestrians. Other suggestions included creating elevated step-free walking and/or cycling routes over the junction. There were also a number of requests to maintain the subways but utilise them for cyclists. Another suggestion was excavating the existing subways to build a sunken public area or creating a whole underground level which would allow safe passage for all pedestrians by creating a single transport interchange between tube, bus and rail. As was utilising existing subways to incorporate shops/cafes or a leisure space.

There were calls for a more adventurous approach to road layout, which would involve banning more turns, like closing St Georges Road to motor traffic, which would allow a crossroads type arrangement to be possible. A Dutch style roundabout where motorists have to stop for other traffic rather than the other way round was also suggested. Other suggestions included straightening the A3 as much as possible and replacing the roundabout with one cross road and two T-junctions. The A3 should pass by the east of the Faraday Memorial and low demand turns should be banned to reduce need for traffic light phases on low demand turns.

Another alternative was a proposal to remove the roundabout and replace it with three T-junctions and to bring the angle of entry to 90 degrees to encourage steady but careful movement of traffic. Create direct pedestrian crossings on all three arms of the T-junctions and a kerb-separated cycle track along entirety of New Kent Road Elephant & Castle route. Tracks should go into and out of
each of the radial roads with visible lanes across all junctions. There should also be cycle specific traffic light phasing."
Friday 22 August 2014 6.05pm
Here's a map of the revised TfL proposals in all its tarmac laden glory.

(Note I have edited out their label saying they are still thinking about the cycle link cutting across the pedestrian peninsula and I've filled out the buildings so that illusory gaps they left in are no longer there).
Friday 22 August 2014 6.23pm
Woohoo!

Can't happen soon enough as far as I'm concerned.
Friday 22 August 2014 7.55pm
Bloody awful is what it is. Bloody awful. There is absolutely no advantage that I can decern. There will be TWO streams of traffic not one. Pedestrians will have to dash across fume filled streets instead is passing safely underneath, having been exposed to all weathers. We in MCH well have only a right turn out of our building, so if we want to go to anywhere to the south, north or west of where we live well have to drive around the houses. Once again this plan is for THROUGH TRAFFIC and not for those of us who LIVE HERE. As always the RESIDENTS of the E&C are being short changed. I am disgusted of the Elephant and I protest. We should all protest.
Friday 22 August 2014 8.33pm
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
Bloody awful is what it is. ...I am disgusted of the Elephant and I protest. We should all protest.

It was heartening to see in the detail of the consultation a long roll call of support for subways and criticism of much of the design. Our local MP emphasised the lack of consultation earlier. Had there been some the misperceptions TfL have about subway safety etc might have been dispelled and the trade-offs weighted differently. It's shocking that so called pedestrian-friendly charities like Southwark Living Streets and even Sustrans largely backed the plans and subway removal with some woefully naive wishful thinking hoping circles could be squared when it came to getting pedestrian pleasantly across multiple carriage ways.
Friday 22 August 2014 8.52pm
So is this,a done deal?
Friday 22 August 2014 11.07pm
Perronetonian wrote:

I note the cycle lane on the West side, between the Taberancle and the road: that stretch of pavement is very narrow as it is and I just can't see it being a viable option to run bicycles there.

Maybe the best option for that section is to have a two-way cycle lane, segregated by physical barriers, running right in the middle of the road, between the two flows of traffic.
Friday 22 August 2014 11.09pm
Perronetonian wrote:

I note the cycle lane on the West side, between the Tabernacle and the road: that stretch of pavement is very narrow as it is and I just can't see it being a viable option to route bicycles there.

Maybe the best option for that section (between the Southern roundabout and the Faraday Memorial) is to have a two-way cycle lane, segregated by physical barriers, running right in the middle of the road, between the two flows of traffic.

I still think it was a big mistake not to retain the old subways and re-purposing them as underground cycle routes.
Saturday 23 August 2014 7.30am
So, as I asked before, IS THIS A DONE DEAL?
Monday 25 August 2014 9.18am
As far as I can make out from TfL everything in that map is a done deal... certainly in terms of consultation anyway. They will feel they have every right to change it significantly again and not consult as long as it's in line with the 80% agreement they got for key principles based on their very manipulative push poll.

On 19 September at 3pm there's a walk about with Witherford Watson Man the architects who are employed to gild the turd of a design. They've already shared their broad vision in the Evening Standard and have been working with TfL for months if not years, so it's obviously less of a research exercise for them and more a rubber stamping exercise. I've had an invite but TfL tell me they will not be advertising this round two of consultation and it's for key stakeholders only... not sure why they think I classify as one now (they never did before when gathering representatives of every instution on the roundabout except Perronet House or MCH) except I do make a lot of noise. I hope many others come to this meeting too. It's at LCC.
Current: 19 of 22

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions