London SE1 community website

Elephant & Castle Northern Roundabout - latest plans

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 20 of 22
Monday 25 August 2014 9.05am
I did an experiment yesterday...and I am even more outraged..we in MCH are going to have to go for MILES to get out of our building to go anywhere but east...there is no right turn into Harper Road..so how am I supposed to get into the Old Kent Road? Will they redirect Rockingham Street? I am going to talk to our directors, I think they have not fully understood the implications for us...as I say, this is all for the benefit of people OTHER than those of us who live here.
Monday 25 August 2014 10.01am
This is the place to dig deep into what they've been doing and the justifications for what's ahead. It's a very clever document, the way some facts are either buried or omitted (e.g. the Met crime stats) and the way they use their push poll a lot to dismiss a lot of the opposition. But it's the consultation doc they'll be leaning on now for everything ahead.

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/roads/elephant-and-castle
Monday 25 August 2014 10.15am
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
I did an experiment yesterday...and I am even more outraged..we in MCH are going to have to go for MILES to get out of our building to go anywhere but east...there is no right turn into Harper Road..so how am I supposed to get into the Old Kent Road? Will they redirect Rockingham Street? I am going to talk to our directors, I think they have not fully understood the implications for us...as I say, this is all for the benefit of people OTHER than those of us who live here.

Jackie - what TfL say
https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/roads/elephant-and-castle/supporting_documents/Responses%20to%20Issues%20Raised_V01.pdf
p15 -
'We have suggested that traffic could possibly use Great Dover Street as an alternative route, equally traffic can easily u-turn at the southern roundabout and head back towards either Newington Causeway or the New Kent Road. Notwithstanding this, we appreciate local concerns...' (!!!)

So, head SOUTH from MCH, once round the system, and back into NKR. Would that work? Saves a right turn out of MCH towards Great Dover Street?
Monday 25 August 2014 11.20am
Er...;you mean turn right into the roundabout..]
Monday 25 August 2014 11.22am
and then what? to the southern roundabout..um...
Monday 25 August 2014 2.57pm
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
and then what? to the southern roundabout..um...

Well, it's what TfL suggest. Down to the south roundabout, go round it, back up the other side past the Tabernacle, round the new 'peninsula' and bear right into NKR. (At least that's how I interpret their remarks - I'm not saying it's good or convenient, just what they recommend to avoid the banned left turn from Newington Causeway into NKR eastbound.)
Monday 25 August 2014 6.23pm
Bummer.
Tuesday 26 August 2014 5.14pm
Perronetonian wrote:
On 19 September at 3pm there's a walk about with Witherford Watson Man the architects who are employed to gild the turd of a design...
TfL tell me they will not be advertising this round two of consultation and it's for key stakeholders only...
Could you let me know the precise meeting point for the walkabout? The presence of a good number of non-stakeholders should make an impression!
Monday 17 November 2014 11.39am
TfL have sent more details of the plan for the planned peninsula at the Northern Roundabout to those who commented on the traffic plans, see here.

It will be ages in coming: I quote: The central space, including the Faraday Memorial, new pavilion and the Faraday Garden will be delivered in a second phase once the Northern line station upgrade works have been completed. It is anticipated that construction on this area will happen in the early 2020s

- so we could have no "plaza" for ten years or more...
Monday 17 November 2014 1.52pm
At last TfL have come clean about this time line which will surprise many given the emphasis they and Southwark Council have placed on the plaza for so long. Pedestrian journeys will be even worse for quite a while.

This big detail is one part of a lot of new details in this new consultation, even if the sawn york stone paving, benches and fruit trees seek to mitigate the flawed traffic engineering within it that will make pedestrian journeys slower and more dangerous amongst other problems.

There have been rumours coming from SImon Hughes that one subway under New Kent Road might yet be retained - given the overwhelming usage and collision data in its favour and that its retention would enable a new surface crossing where it's needed at the top end of Elephant Road - but today's published consultation appears to confine that hope to the bin. A vestigial subway is suggested by TfL's architects as a water feature!

I'm flattered to see my guerrilla gardening activity being given the nod as a source of inspiration for the harvestable planting and there are plenty of likeable little decorative elements... but really there are more important things to be getting right here than dressing up this junction as an urban farm or trying to make it a place to linger when safe pleasant flow should be prioritised. I continue to fear history will judge this landscaping as a moment of superficial nonsense akin to the three defunct wind turbines on top of Strata tower. The Elephant will remain a masterplanner's landscape of failed futures.

Luke wrote:
TfL have sent more details of the plan for the planned peninsula at the Northern Roundabout to those who commented on the traffic plans, see here.
It will be ages in coming: I quote: The central space, including the Faraday Memorial, new pavilion and the Faraday Garden will be delivered in a second phase once the Northern line station upgrade works have been completed. It is anticipated that construction on this area will happen in the early 2020s

- so we could have no "plaza" for ten years or more...
Current: 20 of 22

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions