London SE1 community website

Elephant & Castle Northern Roundabout - latest plans

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 22 of 22
Monday 30 March 2015 6.11pm
TfL have published their info sheets about the proposed works. Download a copy from our campaign datacentre here:

http://www.elephantandcastleroundabout.org/data/TfL_rawfiles/

Familiarise and prepare yourself for the consequences of this plan that TfL are keen you didn't realise on my new infographic below or more clearly view a high res version on a new page here: http://www.elephantandcastleroundabout.org/pictures/TfL-Roundabout-Secrets-March-2015-High-Res.jpg

Monday 30 March 2015 8.02pm
Perronetonian wrote:
TfL have published their info sheets about the proposed works. Download a copy from our campaign datacentre here:
http://www.elephantandcastleroundabout.org/data/TfL_rawfiles/

Familiarise and prepare yourself for the consequences of this plan that TfL are keen you didn't realise on my new infographic below or more clearly view a high res version on a new page here: http://www.elephantandcastleroundabout.org/pictures/TfL-Roundabout-Secrets-March-2015-High-Res.jpg

I like your idea of re-purposing some of the subways as public toilets: I am disgusted every time I see people relieving themselves in public at the E&C.

The smell of stale urine is overwhelming whenever I walk down the steps between Tai Tip Mein and the Shopping Cetre.

Monday 30 March 2015 9.02pm
There are many grot spots around the Elephant and Castle, some below street level. It's deluded of the council and TfL to think that by demolishing the subterranean levels the subterranean behaviour will cease, I've regularly witnessed people of all ages and backgrounds, even a mum with children lined up to pee and poop at surface level next to London Rd. Do we really want TfL's fancy new york stone slabs weathered even quicker with acidic dollops than it's prone to do so? The clock is well and truly being turned back to olde worlde congested polluted pre war E&C without the best bits.
jpm
Monday 13 April 2015 1.54pm
Separate thread about the Elephant & Castle Northern cycle bypass
Monday 13 April 2015 4.36pm
Feel uneasy about the crossing where pedestrians have to wait on the island on London road, and road traffic takes priority. Mums with pushchairs and holding toddlers hands won't find it easy.
Tuesday 30 June 2015 10.31am
C&P from another thread.....Sorry didn't see link.

I have just walked from Walworth rd back to St Georges Circus.
Haha what a nightmare crossing at the E&C roundabout (formerly) is, it just took me 10 mins to get from the end of Walworth rd to the Tabernacle, joke.

What a dumb decision to take those subways away. I have just watched Mums with buggies trying to weave through the overshot traffic, when the little man's green.
I'd go so far as to say, a shameful decision. There has already been accidents where, one has to wonder whether it would have happened had they not taken the subways away.

As an aside, I have just beat the buses back from Wyndham rd to E&C, I was walking.
Tuesday 30 June 2015 1.50pm
From Thursday, with 3 more subways closing and being pumped full of concrete, pedestrian journey times are to get longer for a while before settling into their permanently longer new configuration in 2016. TfL are posting 2 maps of alternative routes, one by each tube station (not as I've suggested next to where the subways are being closed which would perhaps be more logical). No new surface crossings will be built until 2016.

You can see the map and keep up to date with regular developments on the roundabout at my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/elephantandcastleroundabout/photos/a.359744274161677.1073741827.150748711727902/644898612312907/?type=1&theater

As the extent of the road widening becomes tangible now, (and the widening at London Road hasn't even started yet), the loss of public space, the increase in pedestrian journey times, frustration and risk taking can surely only increase what we unremarkable pedestrian collision statistics into ones that tally a horrid mistake.

Let's start the blame game. Our new Labour MP Neil Coyle backed this plan as a councillor and chose not to scrutinise the proposals or engage in the debate (while our ex MP Simon Hughes met TfL officials and campaigned to retain two subways). Boris who pushed for this to become a 'place to linger' (without realising the irony of what this brings: congestion, air pollution, pedestrian risk taking etc) will have gone soon, but at least we have an incumbent politician who should take responsibility to fix it.
Tuesday 15 September 2015 2.42pm
It's been both fascinating and horrifying watching the construction of the new road layout, the ever widening ring road and ever shrinking public space. I've been meaning to share the detailed plans they're working to for a while now after obtaining them from a kindly member of the project team. They highlight (in a senior member of the team's own words) some serious cause for concern about the safety of the layout.

Here's part one of a series of annotated layouts looking at dangerous new places around the new junction. Time will of course tell if the future collision data compares favourably with the past collision data. There is of course no data for comparing the stress levels for users past with what the future holds, but a layout like this looks unnecessarily compromised, particularly for pedestrians, had the principle of integrating improved pedestrian subways into the scheme not been rejected from the start by TfL and Southwark Council.

Collision map hosted on Facebook
Wednesday 16 September 2015 12.23am
I am staggered by how much black tarmac I am seeing,
(only matched by how much pavement is disappearing)
Will Transport for London be re-branded as Traffic for London?
Current: 22 of 22

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions