London SE1 community website

Southwark Liberal Democrats - your thoughts on Transport & Environment

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Wednesday 17 July 2013 10.23pm
1. Bakerloo Line Extension:

Labour are pushing for an extension to Camberwell & Peckham. Why? Because that's where most of their safe Wards are located.

This route option is crazy. It will have to be in a tunnel for the entire route. There is already a perfectly good 4-track rail line from Elephant to Camberwell which is about to benefit from an upgraded Thameslink service - all that is needed is a to re-open the Station at Camberwell, from where another existing rail loop links to Denmark Hill and Peckham Rye.

Your party has therefore been gifted a chance to push the Mayor and TfL for the alternative route via Bricklayers Arms - Old Kent Road - New Cross - Lewisham.

This is a better route. Why?

1. Less tunnelling and therefore cost would be required. The route could surface in the New Den area and link to existing surface rail routes all the way to Lewisham and onward to Hayes

2. The Bricklayers Arms-Old Kent Road corridor buses are chronically overcrowded. There is no rail alternative as is the case for Denmark Hill / Peckham. The Old Kent Road corridor contains some of the poorest wards with the worst access to public transport. There are large areas with scope for housing development which are currently un-attractive to inward investment without a fixed link such as a Bakerloo Extension.

3. Extension to Lewisham provides enormous scope for connections. Connect to Overground at New Cross and New Cross Gate, possibly also with the proposed new Overground Station near the New Den. Connect to DLR and National Rail at Lewisham.
Adopting the Hayes branch would free-up platform space in central London terminals.

4. Oh, and Lewisham Labour support a Bakerloo extension to.....er Lewisham.

Boris and TfL are utterly fixated with taking control of surface rail service franchises within London. Use the extension option to Hayes as the hook to draw in TfL.
Wednesday 17 July 2013 10.48pm
Sounds like perfect sense to me.
Thursday 18 July 2013 7.47am
Sorry James, I am not trying to inflame here but I do wish to say that I do not consider it trolling to comment when a local official uses sexist and - to my mind - inflammatory language:

"Keep it up chaps, I'm enjoying the vision, seems like the trolls are on holiday."

I was reading the suggestions about transport and environment and was about to post on that topic until I read that phrase from our local councillor. As I lightly implied then and left but will explain more fully now, I think it inappropriate for a public official to use terms like 'chaps' and/or assuming that those providing comment are all men. I also think it unnecessary, and therefore inflammatory, to post '...seems like the trolls are on holiday', dismissing those people in the past (which probably included me as a disaffected LibDem) who have posted serious and legitimate concerns about LibDem policy and practice.

Maybe I am naive but I do expect elected officials to take it on the chin when challenged and be perpetually polite to people in their constituency. I do not think this is unreasonable, the same is expected of me (as a manager) at work and I suspect that is true of very many people at work who would love to let the people around them know what they really think but have to hold back. Public officials posting on here are, after all, posting in a professional rather than personal capacity.

I will, of course, leave it now as this is off thread and will not post further on this matter or anything else in response to Councillor Neale in future.
Thursday 18 July 2013 11.16am
I would just like to see elected councillors trying to agree on policies that are best for their constituents instead of slagging off policies just because they're from the opposing party.

Public transport is a big issue for me - I would like to see some real pressure brought to bear on TfL to have another bus route down Grange Road to ease the congestion on the no. 1. also the idea of having a bus route that goes from Grange Road to London Bridge as mentioned above by McQueen would be great as at the moment getting to Guy's involves 2 buses or 6 for a cab (not something I can afford to do)

The thing I worry most about is the lack of mental health facilities. The CMHT (community mental health team) is only dealing with people in psychotic meltdown, everyone else has to rely on their GP. The cuts to services, (thanks Coalition) have meant that many vulnerable people are without support. GPs often have neither the time nor the training to assess and treat people with depression, bipolar disorder etc. I went from being on an enhanced care programme to being referred back to my GP, not because I had suddenly got better, but because the goalposts have been moved. No day centres, no access to benefits advice, no occupational therapy, no one to check whether I'm on the right medication (this should be done by a psychiatrist, not a GP). Nothing. For the first time in years I am close to despair.

I think the free school meals is a fantastic idea and please don't abolish them just because you didn't think of it first. Also with the baby boom more nursery places are needed.

If you ever get back into power, please continue with the house building programme. Council homes are desperately needed and it would be a real shame to abandon this scheme.
Thursday 18 July 2013 8.14pm
Auntie Pat wrote:
I would just like to see elected councillors trying to agree on policies that are best for their constituents instead of slagging off policies just because they're from the opposing party.

Very well put, I couldn't agree more! I can't see any benefits whatsoever of party politics at local council level.

I am very sorry to hear about difficulties with lack of support, I hope you find a solution quickly.
Friday 19 July 2013 6.30am
For me the worry is the number of new housing that's built right up to the proprties perimeter on Long Lane. Lots of new homes is great but not at the expense of new town planning to meet the needs of the expanding area.

For example the Valentine pub is being rebuilt but it appears that the builders are going to build right up to the edge of their land. That is going to make the crossing point very dangerous. The junction of Long Lane and Weston street is awful and needs a rethink anyway, and now it's going to get much worse. If they build up to the perimeter the footpath is eroded massively and navigating your way round that area is much more dangerous.

Long Lane is also dangerous road, traffic regularly fail to to stop at crossing points and break speed limit regularly. Add to that the fact that Long Lane is also the accepted route for all emergency services and minor royalty and it can get very bad indeed. Six months ago a council cpz car almost ran over my wife and I at the above junction and she was eight months pregnant at the time so couldn't move very fast.

The footpaths are being eroded as council approves more building up to proprty boarders and it makes it very narrow/dangerous to navigate up and down this road.

If council could widen footpaths and repair them regularly and put in place something to slow down traffic that would be great!
Friday 19 July 2013 11.36am
graham wrote:
Keep it up chaps, I'm enjoying the vision, seems like the trolls are on holiday.
Some of these ideas are outside Southwark's control. What about things like street sweeping, and rubbish collection?
I shall echo the comments so far on this, chaps?! You should explain yourself there mistah empee.
What about those noisy ice cream vans that sit on the kerb, spewing dirty fumes into our southwark air. If traffic wardens could knock on car,van,lorry,ice cream van windows and have the right to ask them to switch off their engines unless about to move off, that would truly help the pollution levels lower a little bit.
Car free streets is not necessarily a good thing for responsible locals who drive.
However, a couple of routes where one could run, walk and possibly also cycle, vehicle pollution free, would be very good.
As for bins, there should be free recycling from the many blocks of flats in se1. Where on e a week or every two weeks, there's a collection of papers, cardboard, glass, cans, from flats. At the moment, it isn't encouraged as the council charges a lot of money for blocks of flats to have a special recycle bin collection. Bad for environment.

Now, where's the retraction and apology for your misogynistic post, graham
Friday 19 July 2013 12.30pm
[quote McQueen]My wish list would be:

- A strategy to get schoolkids off the buses in the morning - they should not be filling buses, at the expense of paying commuters, to travel two stops: they have young legs and should be encouraged to use them!

with regard to the kids i understood the policy of free bus travel was to get them off the tubes due to overcrowding and recent reports showed that traffic accidents involving kids had gone down since passes were introduced. I agree though it is an issue-i use the C10 or the pimlico school bus as it is known. Perhaps overall there is a good arguement for changing school hours so commuters are not having to battle with kids for places on the bus
Just as annoying for me are the mothers with pushchairs that do not fold them when the bus is busy and only go a couple of stops when could easily walk

Overall i would like to see better management of the buses and thier services so there are not long waits for driver changes or transfers bewtweeen buses and more buses overall
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions