London SE1 community website

Bats in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Monday 26 August 2013 10.22pm
The great thing in this area is to keep your eyes open. Some years ago i saw a peregrine fly past before it was known they were here, i spoke to a twitcher friend , who explained.

A couple of years ago I was on the north bank lazily looking up at the Tate chimney for said peregrines and a bird flapped by i had seen in Scotland, Brazil and Africa, An osprey. Same twitcher says yes they do that. Come across the Channel. rest near Canterbury, then fly on to wherever.
You never know. But never seen bats. will look out.
Tuesday 27 August 2013 8.48am
Nice to know they're around. As a kid growing up in the country I used to sit in my bedroom window and watch them twisting and diving around the lamppost that was outside my window late into the night.
Tuesday 27 August 2013 2.19pm
We are off Blackfriars Road and we have been watching bats in our garden!!! Have never spotted them here before!!
Tuesday 27 August 2013 11.42pm
I have spent holidays at grandpa's plantation in the far east when I was very little. When the bats flew into the house accidentally, we were told by the elders to switch off the lights so that they could see their way out.

Before we knew this, we got a bat killed when we were really young. It was hanging upside down on my sisters' bedroom. Everyone was screaming and my eldest brother decided to scare the bat away by shooting it down with a rubber band. The poor bat fell onto concrete floor, broke its neck we think and died on the spot. Everyone was really upset that night especially my brother. So, just switch off the lights for a short while and hopefully they will leave if they ever end up in your flat.
Wednesday 28 August 2013 8.56pm
Bats swooping around my garden at dusk this evening, on Pages Walk
Friday 6 September 2013 7.39am
Surprised one hanging around at the entrance to the Peabody Estate on Southwark St, last night.
Friday 6 September 2013 12.24pm
I've seen many bats at dusk in the tanner st park
Friday 6 June 2014 7.13pm
We have loads of bats around the south of Waterloo rd, I was looking out the window last night and they were whizzing past me, getting quite close to me, a few feet. I figured they picked up my cool vibe.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions