London SE1 community website

Cycling - Thames path Neckinger to London Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Tuesday 10 September 2013 2.14pm
Nigel, I think he means the little footpath/bridge just east of the Design Museum, which takes you over Neckinger and in to Bermondsey Wall West.
Tuesday 10 September 2013 3.56pm
I never quite get the point of hijacking a post by including discussion of something completely different ie cyclists on pavements hijacked to pedestrians on roads.

I nearly got knocked down by 2 cyclists on Tooley street on Sunday early evening - not youngsters either. The street was crowded. The outcome for me if I got hit and knocked over or even badly bumped would be horrendous as all my joints are vulnerable to long term damage due to a genetic condition.

There is no excuse! I say this as a pedestrian, ex cyclist, ex motorcyclist, ex car driver and taker of public transport - just to prove I have no particular gripe against anyone!

I do believe now that cyclists should have to do some kind of certified training before they are allowed on roads (or anywhere else) for their safety and everybody else's especially since Barclay Bikes have been available to all and sundry-not sure how it could be done though!
Tuesday 10 September 2013 4.20pm
Glibson - agreed, and sorry for hijacking. I was simply trying to open up a slightly more balanced discussion rather than the 'all cyclists are evil' line that Tim seems to be pedalling (pardon the pun).
Tuesday 10 September 2013 6.11pm
In my opinion, London simply wasn't prepared for the impact of the massive rise in numbers of cyclists in recent years: not the cyclists, not the motorists, not the pedestrians. I had friends over from Holland recently (both cyclists and motorists (and rowers, but that's a different story...)) and they were gobsmacked by the traffic, the attitudes and the apparent lawlessness they witnessed here. In the Netherlands there are far clearer rules, and although ignored by some, they still make a difference. I was working in Copenhagen recently and they have very clear rules as well, so everyone, including pedestrians (as a pedestrian there, I had to get used to the cycle paths) has to to take responsibility. In those countries it just seems to work somehow, so why we can't make it work here I don't know. One thing both the Danes and Dutch seem to adhere to very strictly is pedestrian areas/pavements - they stay out of them (they dismount!!!!). Back to London - walking to work every morning, I have noticed that the More London security guards now completely ignore the cyclists.
Tuesday 10 September 2013 6.49pm
Very true Edward,once in Amsterdam I was walking to a pedestrian crossing and there were twp policemen witing at the kerb for the green man,there were no cars and I walked past them and crossed the road,they looked at eachother and crossed,I felt terrible!

I just think we're in more of a rush in London,the other morning I was walking along SBR where that blue cycle lane is,there must've been twenty cyclists and only a few of them were in the cycle lane,it was like a race,too rushy.
Tuesday 10 September 2013 8.02pm
boroughonian wrote:
...the other morning I was walking along SBR where that blue cycle lane is,there must've been twenty cyclists and only a few of them were in the cycle lane,it was like a race,too rushy.

(speaking as a pedestrian and occasional user of the hire bikes)

You do know that there is no law or rule that says that cyclists have to use cycle lanes, where provided, don't you?

Frequently, it's not safe or pleasant to use them (eg the lanes hold drains, broken glass, cars nosing out of side roads, parked cars or cars turning left, or they force you down the LHS of long vehicles - which is spectacularly dangerous).
Tuesday 10 September 2013 8.46pm
Those blue lanes are a joke. Proper cycle lanes really are the best solution. It'll cost a fortune, but will save lives. Still, I wish cyclists wouldn't cycle at More London. I have been tempted myself in the past, as Tooley Street is murder, but practically gave up cycling ages ago, at least until some proper solutions in everybody's interest are found. The Barclay bikers are a problem as well, basically tourists, often inexperienced cyclists themselves, treating London as am iron horse play ground, presenting a danger mostly to themselves as well as others.
Tuesday 10 September 2013 9.02pm
Rambling Phil wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
...the other morning I was walking along SBR where that blue cycle lane is,there must've been twenty cyclists and only a few of them were in the cycle lane,it was like a race,too rushy.

(speaking as a pedestrian and occasional user of the hire bikes)

You do know that there is no law or rule that says that cyclists have to use cycle lanes, where provided, don't you?

Frequently, it's not safe or pleasant to use them (eg the lanes hold drains, broken glass, cars nosing out of side roads, parked cars or cars turning left, or they force you down the LHS of long vehicles - which is spectacularly dangerous).

Yes I do,I would imagine they are there for the safety of the cyclist.
I also think that the blue lane in question is more than generous,if people weren't in too much of a hurry that is.
Tuesday 10 September 2013 9.56pm
EW hit it on the head. i spend a lot of time in Amsterdam

My observations;

There are no racing bikes
There are no mountain bikes
Most are on sit-up and beg cycles
It is mainly flat
The distances are shorter, no-one is trying to get from ? Norwood to Farringdon in the shortest possible time
The rules are clear but if I step into a cycle lane there is a polite ting, not a tirade
The cyclists obey the lights
There are pretty well no lorries and the buses and trams have their own rules /lights which the cyclists understand/respect

Which leads me to the conclusion that Amsterdam does not have much which is of relevance.

I would love London cyclists to turn into Amsterdam, but it is not going to happen.

The one thing I would like London cyclists to do is to give way on the left when a bus is approaching a bus stop. How the bus drivers manage it I don't know, but the number of times I have seen a cyclist try to race through the diminishing gap as he/she approaches a stop is frightening. And it will be the driver 's fault, and he will lose his livelihood.

Come on guys, think.
Tuesday 10 September 2013 10.38pm
yay! tim's back....and then a big rant about cyclists...
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions