London SE1 community website

Good chinese in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Wednesday 25 September 2013 3.45pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
Thanks, dvjj. Much appreciated. (That's a very organised handbag you've got there! ;0))
Oh my...you should see it...
I also have a list for Nando's as I always get confused when I get to the till to order, yet we always eat the same thing in there!
Also a clear plastic document folder (A5) holding money off vouchers, prescriptions etc...

However I wouldn't have been able to be quite so precise here today without it :)

Life's too short live it!!!

D x
Wednesday 25 September 2013 8.09pm
Another Double Happy Customer here.

Their food is very good.

I especially love the soups, and chicken in black bean sauce.

I guess it depends on the type of foods you like.

I don't eat seafood personally, and I'm not a big fan of beef, so I tend to stick to chicken or pork dishes
Saturday 28 September 2013 6.10pm
dvjj wrote:
And...If you want spring rolls go for the number 16 which is Two larger spring rolls in deference to the other ones on the menu they are miles better!!
P.s Thanks you made me hungry now!!
The numbers are wrong, so much for my organisational skills... Had Chinese tonight and realised they updated the menu. Spring rolls are 19... And the others changed too, so if you order any of my favourites use the names not numbers or you could end up with bean curd lol

Life's too short live it!!!

D x
Saturday 28 September 2013 6.46pm
Changed the numbers? How dare they!

Glad you kept clear of the curd ;0)

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 2 October 2013 1.41pm
We always have great food at Crystal China on TBR. Eat in or Take-away. Most interesting is that this place is always full of Chinese people.

Hong Kong quality IMHO.
Friday 4 October 2013 11.36am
It's not in SE1 and I'm not sure it does takeaway, but I must draw your attention to perhaps the finest, straightforward Cantonese restaurant in London, sitting at the top of Walworth Road: www.dragon-castle.com

This is a two hundred seat restaurant, badly designed and draughty, with bland Chinky kitsch decor, but first rate cooking. It's the only place for dim sum south of the river (so far as I know).

When I refer to 'straight' Cantonese cooking there's no fusion here. OK, 'Thai mixed vegetable panang curry' is obviously not Guangzhou, but its inclusion does demonstrate that they are at last making an effort to cater for veggies!

More typical: great seafood incl. lobster & crab served in a choice of eight ways; lotsa duck; mix'n'match nine varieties of green vegetables with 12 ways to prepare them. Get the picture? Basically, you can get anything you want and it is excellent quality.

Dragon's Nest makes quite a statement about the changing face of the Elephant and caters to an ethnic population that has grown steadily since flats in Metro Central Heights were marketed in pre-handover Hong Kong. As the Vietnamese supermarket on the next block and the Chinese supermarket in the shopping centre underline, the Chinese are here to stay and I'm sure will be an increasingly visible influence on the Elephant over the next few years.
Monday 7 October 2013 10.49am
Russell Cronin wrote:
It's not in SE1 and I'm not sure it does takeaway, but I must draw your attention to perhaps the finest, straightforward Cantonese restaurant in London, sitting at the top of Walworth Road: www.dragon-castle.com
Used to be a big fan of Dragon Castle but it's gone downhill over the last couple of years and the recent food hygeine ratings were very poor (score on the door 1) http://www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk/business/dragon-castle--156699.html
Thursday 10 October 2013 7.44am
SophieLondon wrote:
Used to be a big fan of Dragon Castle but it's gone downhill over the last couple of years and the recent food hygeine ratings were very poor (score on the door 1) http://www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk/business/dragon-castle--156699.html
Ew! Thanks for heads up.
Thursday 10 October 2013 3.27pm
Regarding the now closed Mei King in Snowsfield, I spoke with one of the guys pulling out the fixtures and fittings and he said it was going to reopen as an American Diner.
Thursday 10 October 2013 5.38pm
Richard Miller wrote:
Regarding the now closed Mei King in Snowsfield, I spoke with one of the guys pulling out the fixtures and fittings and he said it was going to reopen as an American Diner.

Wonder what Madonna would say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDwb9jOVRtU

Mei King features at 2:00 onwards.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions