London SE1 community website

Sustainable transport, and Green Southwark

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Tuesday 8 October 2013 10.41pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
Helen, with the greatest of respect, I can't believe taxpayers' money is spent convening meetings to discuss such silly topics as these.

The Mayor's office and the GLA estimate that air pollution (much of it due to motorised transport) results in more than 4,000 deaths in London each year (http://www.london.gov.uk/media/assembly-press-releases/2012/12/assembly-highlights-high-percentage-of-deaths-attributed-to-air).

Many of the discussions on this forum are about the environment we live in and the ways in which we move around them.

And you think these are 'silly topics'. I'd be interested to know what you think our elected representatives should be talking about.

ps Graham - I suspect we differ politically, but thank you for your commitment in representing your electorate.
Wednesday 9 October 2013 8.15am
Phil, what do you really see changing as a consequence of this meeting taking place? I retain my view that it is a silly subject, certainly at local government level. Can you see radical - or indeed any - change being brought about as a result of this meeting? pollution and suchlike will always be an issue in inner-city areas and this iaa fact of life. In any event, it is something the taxpayer is already funding to be discussed and 'actioned' by the London Assembly.

Why pay twice? I'dsooner see the electorate tackling things that, as a result of their soirees, change is brought about for the benefit of residents. I'm talking about core council services - refuse, antisocial behaviour, environmental health, social care services, etc., road signage...

Graham, I hear and accept what you say. However, nothing you have said dissuades me from my belief that a meeting on this subject will cost the taxpayer quite a bit of money and with no quantifiable benefit or measurable outcome.. In fact, I will submit an FOI request after the meeting has taken place to find out exactly how much. Given my points above, do you believe convening meetings on topics such as this represents good value for the taxpayer?
Wednesday 9 October 2013 8.20am
Jenny Jones, AM wrote:
No engine idling campaigns outside schools; Awareness of high pollution episodes so vulnerable pupils can be alerted and limit times they spend outdoors; School travel plans that avoid pollution exposure; Where possible locate outdoor play areas away from perimeter areas and traffic pollution; Green roofs and plants to cut airbourne particulates; Low energy ventilation systems to ensure fresh air within school buildings
- See more at: http://www.london.gov.uk/media/assembly-member-press-releases/green-party/2013/09/news-from-jenny-jones-am-jenny-launches-how-polluted-is-my#sthash.NmwFxzVO.dpuf

How is any of this going to happen? Shall we move on to 'biologically diverse'?
Monday 14 October 2013 11.37am
A procession to mark the death of Camberwell Orchard, Sedan Way trees, Heygate Forest and many other & future green spaces around Southwark will start 17:30 on Wednesday 16 October, corner of Camberwell Road/Albany Road.

Protesters will walk together (carrying a coffin, giving flyers out, etc) to Walworth Academy, Shorncliffe Road SE1 (corner of Albany Road and Old Kent Road), where the Southwark Council Assembly meeting will be taking place from 7pm. The meeting will include a discussion on Green Southwark.

Please join the protest - don't miss your chance to tell Southwark Council what you think of its green policies!
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions