London SE1 community website

New Bermondsey to Borough bus route needed

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Friday 11 October 2013 4.59pm
I think it'll always be a case of you can't satisfy all of the people all of the time. I could suggest that the 343, although very busy from Elephant & Castle onwards to New Cross Gate, is often quite empty on it's stretch between Tower Bridge and Borough and perhaps a diversion of the 343 right onto Great Dover St and an extension to cover Grange Rd / Southwark Park Rd could be a solution. That would get us from Grange Road as far as Borough but wouldn't get us to London Bridge, and I'm sure that those people who do use the 343 from Tower Bridge (I was one of them when I lived up that way) wouldn't be happy with that plan.

All I know is we are in desperate need of an increased service along Grange Rd and I just hope TFL recognise that at some point (preferably in my lifetime....)
Wednesday 16 October 2013 1.18pm
how about splitting one of the routes, so like the northern line every other bus goes alternate routes?
Like for instance, the 21 route could be split to 'via Borough Station' and 'via Tower Bridge Road' from Bricklayers Arms Rdbt to London Bridge Station.
it doesn't solve the issue of Grange Rd but does add in options for TBR to LB, and reduces 21 congestion on Great Dover St, Borough High St.
Thursday 17 October 2013 10.50am
Hi Jon,

I'm not sure this would really solve the problem I have raised. My point was that there is no bus serving South Park Rd / Grange Rd to London Bridge, which this suggestion, as you say, wouldn't solve. But also, in the absence of that bus too many people are trying to cram on to the 21 which just does not have the capacity for all the passengers, splitting the route would not solve the overcrowding, it could just add to it.

Anyway, unfortunately unless a lot more people actually voice their need for this bus I very much doubt anything will change. Feeling rather dispondent about it all today :-(
Thursday 12 December 2013 9.09am
Val Shawcross has tabled a question to the Mayor:

Bus services from Southwark Park Road

I have had several suggestions from constituents lately about improving bus connections between the Southwark Park Road area and Borough/London Bridge. What plans do TfL have for addressing concerns about bus connectivity in this area?

Will post an update when the next batch of written answers are published.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 13 December 2013 1.42pm
The local bus situation will get much worse when the Workspace / Duke of Westminster scheme for 800? residential units goes ahead on the Clements Road site SE16. ( Recently secured planning consent.)
Friday 13 December 2013 5.17pm
mellin wrote:
The local bus situation will get much worse when the Workspace / Duke of Westminster scheme for 800? residential units goes ahead on the Clements Road site SE16. ( Recently secured planning consent.)

I was wondering if the Council take this sort of issue into consideration when approving new residential developments. There's a good argument for requiring the developers to contribute towards the startup and ongoing costs of improved public transport in an area like this.

Then I found Southwark Council's own 'Sustainable Transport Supplementary Planning Document' (March 2010) online:
http://www.southwark.gov.uk/download/3916/sustainability_appraisal-sustainable_transport_spd

quote: 'All development proposals should consider links to existing and future public transport networks. The council will seek money from developers to fund improvements to public transport as described in the Planning Obligations Supplementary Planning Document.'

One trusts that the builders of 800 extra residential units are paying for at least that many extra bus-seats. Are they?
Friday 13 December 2013 5.26pm
The Biscuit Factory development is contributing 450,000 for bus services:

Quote:
At consultation stage, TfL noted that bus services in the vicinity of the site operate at capacity during peak hours. A contribution of 450,000 has therefore been secured through the section 106 agreement to fund one additional return journey for a period of 5 years to help meet demand from the development. This contribution is welcomed and the scheme is supported in this regard.

http://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/the_biscuit_factory_report.pdf

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 13 December 2013 7.05pm
James Hatts wrote:
The Biscuit Factory development is contributing 450,000 for bus services:
Quote:
At consultation stage, TfL noted that bus services in the vicinity of the site operate at capacity during peak hours. A contribution of 450,000 has therefore been secured through the section 106 agreement to fund one additional return journey for a period of 5 years to help meet demand from the development. This contribution is welcomed and the scheme is supported in this regard.

http://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/the_biscuit_factory_report.pdf

Thanks, James - nice to know what the going rate for one extra return bus journey is. I hope the new residents won't all try to get on the bus at the same time!
Sunday 15 December 2013 3.52pm
Whatever is decided, any bus either on a new route or an amended one, will get caught in the traffic either in the New Kent Road or Borough High Street.

However, as a 'suggestion' the No 1 could be diverted to take in The Borough and London Bridge Station/Guys Hospital - the route could be......

Normal route up to the Bricklayers Arms - then go up Great Dover Street to Borough Station, turn right into Borough High Street and then head off towards London Bridge but turn right into London Bridge Bus Station.

Coming out the bus station, it could then turn left and then right into Southwark Street, go onwards into Stamford Street and then rejoin the normal route at the imax cinema roundabout and onwards to Tottenham Court Road.

It will still be caught in traffic, but if the bus controllers do their job and keep the service evened out - could this be the answer??
Monday 16 December 2013 10.00am
I estimate this will double the journey time for people trying to get to Waterloo. In the mornings, it is actually worse trying to get onto and up BHS from Great Dover Street than it is trying to get from TBR to the bus lane on NKR. And since the extended route times are (allegedly) what keeps causing the regular route curtailments we now endure, I really can't see this making things better. Finally, this would not allow the bus to actually stop at Waterloo - you'd either be alighting on Stamford Street or at the stop on the south end of Waterloo bridge.
Also, people do need to get to E&C and now couldn't ...
I feel we need:
(1) a massively improved No.1 service (with no changes to the existing route)
(2) a massively improved No.78 service
(3) a new route coming along SPR/Grange Road but then heading towards London Bridge/Guy's
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions