London SE1 community website

New Bermondsey to Borough bus route needed

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Wednesday 22 January 2014 10.34am
The Mayor has responded: http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/7350

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 22 January 2014 11.17am
According to TFL's own journey planner it takes exactly the same number of minutes to travel by bus from Alscot Rd (my stop on Grange Rd) to London Bridge, as it does to Tottenham Court Rd - 36 minutes! London Bridge is 1.4 miles and Tottenham Ct Rd is 4.5 miles away.
Wednesday 22 January 2014 11.25am
I don't accept his argument that Southwark Park Road/Grange Road doesn't need another bus route because it already has three - especially as only one of them goes directly into central London. Plenty of high streets in inner London have more bus routes.

It seems daft that such a central area doesn't have a direct bus to the nearest transport hub and gateway into central London.
Wednesday 22 January 2014 12.10pm
Cant believe he suggested that commuters should change buses to connect. Does he not realise that not everyone has a travel card to do this and only pay for 2 journeys a day as this is all they can afford to do.
Wednesday 22 January 2014 12.20pm
The mayor mentions the no 1 and 21 bus routes in his answer but what about the overcrowding on these routes in peak hours? New blocks of flats are springing up everywhere in the area like mushrooms. The problem of overcrowding on existing bus routes and the lack of transport links to key areas in the neighbourhood, such as London Bridge and Borough High St, must be addressed urgently.
Wednesday 22 January 2014 6.37pm
At rush hour, being able to a) fit on a No 1 before Elephant and b) a 21 before London Bridge is wishful thinking.

I agree with Sarah V. The local population is growing rapidly but Boris doesn't seem interested. As houses near me become vacant or are rented out, they are no longer home to couples but instead have all their bedrooms rented out which means the property now has double the people. All of whom need a bus at rush hour.

Many of the existing bus routes have lost a peak hour service in timetable revisions recently and it is showing. You can barely get on a 53 or 63 before Elephant and the 168 which only starts at Tesco is often full after that single stop.

Meanwhile, Wandsworth gets a Northern Line extension and Boris bikes. We get told there's no money for the Bakerloo line and no bikes east of Tower Bridge Rd.

Does TfL have a strategy for Bermondsey/Walworth transport?
Thursday 23 January 2014 10.20am
He managed to dodge one of the main issues. Overcrowding.
Monday 27 January 2014 10.12am
A new bus is an excellent idea as London Bridge/Shard area is a new massive employment centre apart from the trains and Guy's Hospital access. The 21 route goes nowhere near Grange road anyway so is not relevent. There is currently some 5 massive housing developments in the area of Grange road/Dunton road/SPa gardens and we need extra buses. Go Val.
Monday 27 January 2014 11.25am
Sarah V wrote:
According to TFL's own journey planner it takes exactly the same number of minutes to travel by bus from Alscot Rd (my stop on Grange Rd) to London Bridge, as it does to Tottenham Court Rd - 36 minutes! London Bridge is 1.4 miles and Tottenham Ct Rd is 4.5 miles away.

You could walk to London Bridge from Alscot Road in comfortably less than 36 minutes (assuming you weren't laiden with bags, cases, kids).

I walk from the Blue to Elephant in about 25 minutes every day. I could get the 1, but I suspect that it wouldn't save me more than 5 minutes. One moring I made it all the way from home to Bricklayers (where I turn right down Gt Dover St) and I wasn't passed by a single bus heading along that route.
Monday 27 January 2014 11.53am
Guy's street wrote:
Sarah V wrote:

You could walk to London Bridge from Alscot Road in comfortably less than 36 minutes (assuming you weren't laiden with bags, cases, kids).

I walk from the Blue to Elephant in about 25 minutes every day. I could get the 1, but I suspect that it wouldn't save me more than 5 minutes. One moring I made it all the way from home to Bricklayers (where I turn right down Gt Dover St) and I wasn't passed by a single bus heading along that route.

You are right, Guy's Street, walking is often quicker than taking the bus. I am lucky enough to be in good health and regularly do the return trip to London Bridge from Alscot Rd on foot in about 25 minutes each way. Unfortunately, many neighbours aren't so lucky so it's out of the question for them to walk that far. Even those of us who are reasonably fit often have to lug heavy shopping or luggage, or have small children in tow, or are quite simply worn out. On those occasions everyone needs a reliable, regular bus service to get them to and from work, school, hospital visits, evenings out etc.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions