London SE1 community website

Developers have approached the council to buy another block of flats

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7
Thursday 17 October 2013 11.58am
Re property does anyone know what is happening with the 'Ex - Costcutter' property in The Cut opposite Southwark Tube Station.

Tesco flyers were delivered around apparently......now nobody - including Tesco seem to know anything - apart from a Tesco branch planned for 'Waterloo Road' they say
Thursday 17 October 2013 8.46pm
We have received official confirmation that the disposal of land and buildings is not going to be discussed at the November cabinet meeting. However, that is not the end of the matter. The council is waiting for a response from Dev Sec about our concerns (actually, we just said no to their outrageous plans), and depending on their response, 'any further dialogue will depend on this response'.
Wednesday 23 October 2013 6.22pm
Well we have had our official letter from Cllr Colley telling us that including Styles House on the Cabinet 'list of decisions' was an 'administrative error'. However, the letter does not say that the building and land is NOT for sale, only that it has 'not made any decision to dispose of any part'. So yet another letter is required in order to ascertain their true intention. Meanwhile, a reply from DevSec regarding our concerns, certainly leads me think that they think it is a done thing. The battle continues ....
Wednesday 23 October 2013 10.15pm
Do you really trust this answer? Read for yourself that is now shunted to November Cabinet and hopefully nobody will notice.

Link to Southwark Council Leaders Forward Plan
Wednesday 23 October 2013 10.18pm
hhrca - that's where it was originally scheduled.

Presumably it will disappear (at least temporarily) when the forward plan gets its next monthly update.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 23 October 2013 10.26pm
James, an error should be removed straight away with no update as they have had to do in the past. Yes, my error, it's not been shunted - yet :-) Defenders of blocks, grounds and estates have to be hyper vigilant and a link to the Leaders Forward Plan might be handy! Jerry
Wednesday 6 November 2013 11.02pm
We've received an email today from Cllr Colley which is quite reassuring, and both she and Cllr Wingfield have agreed to come and visit us at Styles House so that we can show them all we have achieved on the estate, and hopefully to have a face-to-face discussion rather than all this emailing. It seems that they have also agreed to write a protocol about how any future approaches by developers will be consulted. I think that is a step in the right direction.
Thursday 7 November 2013 6.52pm
if you're lucky, you may get a biggest new park in the last 70 years? :)
Saturday 20 September 2014 7.48am
Hi Karen,

Just curious what came of this:

- Did the councilors come to meet you face-to-face, and if so how did it go?
- Are the flats confirmed safe, or is "redevelopment" still lurking as future possibility?
- Did anything came of the protocol the promised to write for dealing with developers?
Saturday 20 September 2014 9.27am
Oh, my heart sank when I saw that this thread had resurfaced! Yes, Wingfield and Folley visited and had an informal meeting with us. I think they were genuinely surprised at how close the building is to Styles House. We suggested that they bought the building to develop as part of Styles House but they said it was too expensive. I asked how much was in the kitty but didn't get an answer! We then suggested that they knock down the small block and rebuild it so they are proper one bed flats and not bed sitters, and also to increase its size. They were open to this suggestion and it has been agreed in a TRA meeting that we would like to work with them on this. We also suggested flats for disabled on the ground floor. Obviously any development would be subject to several conditions and we would expect to work with the council on the plans. Since then it's all gone quiet, but we have had some contact with Folley's replacement. No mention of the charter though unless this is what this new questionnaire is all about. I'm not sure of the current situation with DevSec and Algarve House.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions