London SE1 community website

Grange Pub

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Thursday 17 October 2013 2.48pm
Further to my earlier post this link gives the background to The Ivy House story.
Thursday 17 October 2013 10.07pm
Earl of Derby, Final Furlong, The Fort, Rose and Crown, The Colleen Bawn all disappeared in the last 20 years...shame if the Grange went the same way..just along grange road, and the blue.... probably more than I can remember...
Friday 18 October 2013 9.45pm
This is a very good report on recent community buy-outs of pubs and outlines the way various other groups have achieved it -

http://ucljustspace.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/fabien-cante-localism-at-the-pub-sept.pdf
Monday 21 October 2013 1.12pm
Unfortunately I'd not be able to contribute cash but I'd love to get involved - have experience working in real ale pubs, a lot of knowledge and contacts and am looking to start a microbrewery with some new brewing ideas...keep us updated!
Monday 21 October 2013 3.57pm
Hi all. An update on The Grange. Negotiations for its sale are in an advanced stage and I expect an announcement soon. I met with Enterprise Inn's agents and the prospective buyer last Tuesday.

Unfortunately Utd St. Saviours Charity were not in a position to move - purely down to timing as far as I can see. However, the prospective buyer is determined to spend some money on it and shares our vision for the pub.

The agent gave me the distinct impression that having the pub listed as an asset of community value made them change their minds from selling it with vacant possession to selling it as a going concern - probably representing a 200K difference in price (I'm guessing at the numbers).

An real result! And a victory for localism.

Damian O'Brien
Thursday 24 October 2013 7.50pm
@Damian O'Brein that is exciting news and hopefully will all go through. Can you give any further indication as to what the prospective buyer's vision is?

Interestingly though I've also been in touch with United St Saviours yesterday and they said they would make a decision next week. You probably know more than I what's going on behind the scenes with them, but if the upshot of it all is that it stays a pub then great.

Bummed I can't move fast enough to raise the cash to compete but really pleased there is so much local passion to keep it in the community. As you can see from the responses in this thread there are a lot of locals who would like to be involved, me included!
Friday 25 October 2013 5.01pm
Hello Damian, I think you was talking to my dear mother in law last week in Yalding rd,she gave me the scoop about the pub and I meant to come on here with my first ever meaningful post,but forgot.

Good news for the area.
Monday 15 September 2014 10.06am
So this place has been done up, food menu added, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/thegrange.bermondsey

Anyone been in there yet? I think I will check it out at the weekend.
Tuesday 16 September 2014 11.36am
We've been a couple of times & think it's a really lovey addition to the area. The food we had was all really nice & Matt, the owner, really welcoming. I haven't been in the garden at the back yet but they have a built in bar, heaters & a pizza oven so might try that at the weekend. Like anywhere, it won't be for everyone, but all our neighbours who we went with loved it.
Wednesday 17 September 2014 8.47am
Had a look in the window last night - it doesn't look much different to before except they've stripped back to the floorboards and (disappointingly) removed the pool table.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions