London SE1 community website

'Most expensive' council homes go under the hammer

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6
Tuesday 29 October 2013 5.24pm
Cllr John, by coincidence I have received information from Southwark Council that I requested a couple of weeks ago:

1.How many tenanted households were moved out - 1013
2.How many leaseholder households had to sell - 176
3.How many properties are going to be offered directly to ex-Heygate tenants - 450

Perhaps you could explain what the 450 represent: Is this the total number of council flats that will be available, or will there be additional council flats offered to people on the waiting list?
Tuesday 29 October 2013 5.35pm
79 council homes is what lend lease put in the planning application for the heygate (phase 2 as it's called) and that's it. the rest is 'affordable' homes. 79 in place of 1,100 is local people 'being against everything'
Tuesday 29 October 2013 11.27pm
PeterJohn wrote:
...There will be 650 new affordable homes on the Heygate site and a total of 1650 affordable homes across the Elephant regeneration area - that's 600 more than were on the Heygate. So that's a net increase in affordable housing in that part of the borough...

On the Heygate there were 1000 council tenancies paying affordable rents (and 100 leaseholders).

Do you really believe or do you not know that the 'affordable' housing you are promising is way above the pocket of most local people?

The use of the description 'affordable housing' to describe any actually genuinely affordable housing is long past it's sell-by date. Continuing to use this term is just spin of a very poor and dubious situation.

How many of these 'affordable' homes will be comparable to what 1000 tenants were paying on the Heygate before they were forced elsewhere? How many have moved back to the area to pay what they were paying before?

The point is why should secure tenants and leaseholders be displaced for a high land value development just because of that value only then to find their living circumstances altered for the worse?
Tuesday 29 October 2013 11.56pm
Just listened to Neil Coyle interviewed on LBC,now I know i'm naive but I thought this 11k new homes Southwark council have pledged to build were to be council rents,it's seems this is not the case so I assume the 1650 new "affordable" homes in E&C regen are part of that 11k.

When asked how many of these 11k new builds would be "affordable" or council rents Mr Coyle didn't know the figures.
Wednesday 30 October 2013 1.26pm
Perhaps Councillor John could enlighten us as to how many of the 11k new homes will be social housing rents??

Afterall they brag about it enough,they're entitled to know the facts,I await with interest.
Wednesday 30 October 2013 1.29pm
boroughonian wrote:
Perhaps Councillor John could enlighten us as to how many of the 11k new homes will be social housing rents??
Afterall they brag about it enough,they're entitled to know the facts,I await with interest.

All of them. That's 100%.
Wednesday 30 October 2013 1.37pm
PeterJohn wrote:
boroughonian wrote:

as these new homes will not be in council housing ghettos (and as the list for phase 2 shows), there will have to be an additional number of 'affordable housing' homes. what's the estimated figure for those and/or the total homes to be built in next 30 years?
Wednesday 30 October 2013 1.39pm
Peter, can you answer my questions please. See above.
Wednesday 30 October 2013 1.47pm
PeterJohn wrote:
boroughonian wrote:

Well that's brilliant Peter,I don't quite know why Mr Coyle couldn't of said that last night on LBC,it would've got him out of quite a hole instead he just said "I don't have the figures for that" (I took that to mean that some would be "affordable") but went on to tell us that the proceeds of the sale of the house in question will be spent on social (not affordable) housing,it seems Mr Coyls was ill prepared for such an interview and indeed completely unqualified to take part in it,having said that he did put himself on offer when others apparently didn't fancy it so fair play to him for that.

It does appear that I got it wrong above when I said that the 1650 new "affordable" homes on the E&C regen were part of the 11k pledged homes,right?
Wednesday 30 October 2013 2.07pm
Pros, you are saying that there will only be 79 council homes is that correct? I obviously asked an ambiguous question, because the answer I was given to my question; how many properties are going to be offered directly to ex-Heygate tenants, the answer came back 450. I got this from LBS under FOI. Is there anyone else - a Councillor perhaps - who can confirm exactly how many council owned flats will be offered at council rates to anyone (let alone ex-Heygate tenants) on the site of the old Heygate estate?

Merlin Rouge is correct in what she says about affordable housing and I think we should ban this 'umbrella' term and make people be more specific!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions