London SE1 community website

"Superfast" broadband - Fibre providers and availability

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Thursday 14 November 2013 11.24pm
http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ says Southbank is "accepting orders" but Sky says I am "not eligible" whatever that means.
Saturday 16 November 2013 10.36pm
nelson_ wrote:
whatever that means.
It means that Sky cannot connect you to this service since they rely on BT to put fibre into the cabinet that serves you in the first place, and that is something that BT have yet to do, and when that may happen is something that Sky have no control over.

Taking orders may mean BT have connected a cabinet on the exchange and they can take orders as a result.... so long as you are connected to said cabinet. There will be hundreds of cabinets that may not be connected to fibre on the same exchange and some that may for whatever reason never be connected as part of the current roll out.
Tuesday 19 November 2013 1.30pm
RZ do you mind saying how much you paid Zen for installation and monthly cost and contract length? Heard they are v good but the price reflects this.
RZ
Tuesday 19 November 2013 7.57pm
youcrazyboy wrote:
RZ do you mind saying how much you paid Zen for installation and monthly cost and contract length? Heard they are v good but the price reflects this.

I have the unlimited 76GB package and I've transferred my phone line; 25/month, 12 month contract, no installation/setup fees, plus another 17/month for line rental. Line transfer is optional but broadband costs more without it (I think an extra 4.50/month but might be wrong).

I've used Zen before and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone looking for a clueful ISP. They're not the cheapest but you're right that the price reflects the service. Properly unlimited, no filtering or other tinkering and, for those inclined to care about such things, niceties like a static IP with configurable reverse DNS.

I can't speak for them as a phone provider as the line is purely for broadband.

In case I haven't sold it enough, here's a peak-time speed test. :)
Friday 29 November 2013 1.09pm
After initially ordering fibre from Sky on the 16th of September I now have an activation date for the 5th of December.
Friday 29 November 2013 1.15pm
i received a letter from Hyperoptic who say they are wiring up my block. They take on contracts for smaller apartment blocks etc instead of the big suppliers. You would think its a good thing in terms of turn around times but still waiting for a reply to my email from a couple of weeks ago. Seems good speeds but might be a while for me!
Friday 29 November 2013 1.21pm
Aha - everyone in Boss House got one of those letters yesterday. Mind you, they say that Boss House might be wired up if enough folks register an interest on their website. Will wait and see what happens!
Friday 6 December 2013 11.38am
Finally got fibre activated through Sky, getting 32Mb down and 9Mb up.
Wednesday 15 January 2014 4.38pm
Everyone should have access to Virgin Media. I've just upgraded my broadband - only 5 more a month - and my speeds are amazing: 143mb/s down and 13mb/s up.
Sunday 19 January 2014 11.05am
I live in crown apartments at the end of queen Elizabeth street in Shad Thames. I have the same problem of no fibre. I have sky regular broadband and get around 12mb and been looking to get fibre but no provider seems to have it available.

The new cabinet was installed across the road from me (corner of horselydown) in June 2013 and The Telephone Exchange in September 2013. I've called up sky and bt retail repeatedly trying to find out why it isn't available and just told to try again in another month!

I have found that south of the railway line fibre availability seems much more common (leathermarket street, Riley street), North of the railway line I couldn't find any places where infinity is available until RZ posted about Boss street.

I'm guessing that boss street has a different cabinet to me, although it's only 1 street away, and hoping that it will be just a matter of time before it does become available.

I'm pretty sure it's about whether the cabinet is enabled, and whether a provider has contracts in place to wholesale provide fibre in the area.

Has anyone else in shad Thames had fibre made available recently?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions