London SE1 community website

"Superfast" broadband - Fibre providers and availability

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Sunday 19 January 2014 4.55pm
Wow....I am in ST and on Sky and I only get 1-3mb ever, how do you get12mb?
Zoe
Monday 20 January 2014 8.16am
Here on Hatfields we are right next to the BT exchange, which has high speed internet but not in our connection box. This appears to be the box on Isabella Street, which is probably the closest one to the exchange. I look at it hatefully every time I go by! Why wouldn't they upgrade the nearest connection box and how are they making these decisions.

I'm going with Virgin, sick of waiting for BT.
Thursday 23 January 2014 11.35pm
BT will not upgrade then area to fibre, final end of story, only way to do it is through hyperoptic, who could do more if BT allowed easy access to bt ducts and poles for other providers to deliver high speed net. If you want action moan to ofcom and the local politicians.

Below is BT basically saying go away.

-------------

Dear Sir

As you are aware, you are connected directly to the Bermondsey exchange. We do not currently have any plans to upgrade this type of line on the Bermondsey exchange.

We cannot utilise the fibre connection in the building as it is not connected to the Openreach fibre broadband network.

Where E/O lines are not in our footprint, or are not commercially viable, it is worth contacting your London Assembly Member or local council to register your interest in case any government funding becomes available to help fund deployment.

You may also wish to lobby your Assembly Member or local councillor on progress gaining funding for such deployment from the Government. You can also register your interest on the Openreach website at; http://www.openreachfibrebroadband.co.uk/expression-gen.aspx

If you have any further questions, please ensure you have read the FAQ's on our website, http://www.openreachfibrebroadband.co.uk/faq/ . If your question is answered within the FAQ section, we will not respond to your e-mail.

Regards

BT openreach minion
Friday 24 January 2014 9.41am
Hi,

I live in Pimlico but I do have the same predicament, I think my situation is the same as above but I got a more detailed explanation:

Thank you for your enquiry about fibre broadband, you are connected directly to the exchange and not via a telephony cabinet located in the street, this is referred to as an E/O line.

Our deployment is based on the commercial criteria for each exchange and in turn, how broadband is delivered from the exchange. Unfortunately, as your line is fed directly from the exchange it fails to meet the commercial criteria. This is because the solution to deploy Fibre Broadband to lines connected this way would not provide a return on the investment based on the costs for the construction and on-going running costs.

Government funding is available to county and borough councils to assist in the upgrade of lines that are connected directly to the exchange. It would be worth contacting them to enquire if they have discussed funding with BDUK to help upgrade lines such as yours. Details about BDUK are available at:- https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/bduk-broadband-delivery-project

I appreciate it is frustrating but we are deploying Fibre Broadband on a commercial basis and are not able to provide service to your exchange fed line on that basis.

So I'm basically stuck with what I have (sounds like you are as well).

On Jamaica road there is Virgin cable internet on one side of the road but not the other :(
Friday 24 January 2014 1.38pm
Gegabone wrote:
BT will not upgrade then area to fibre, final end of story, only way to do it is through hyperoptic, who could do more if BT allowed easy access to bt ducts and poles for other providers to deliver high speed net. If you want action moan to ofcom and the local politicians.

For what it's worth - Strata at E&C has Hyperoptic installed as BT don't think it's worth the hassle..
Hyperoptic is really a great company, choices of up to 1gb up/down...

However you really have to get the building involved in registering their interest before they look at you.
Friday 24 January 2014 5.21pm
BT are just being plain evasive. They are being evasive because they have chinese walls between themselves and Openreach. They can also hide no end of insidious things behind terms like 'commecially viable'. More than once it has been suggested that they do this in some areas with large numbers of business users in order to encourage them to take up vastly more profitable alternatives, like ethernet, from BT instead. In other areas, the suggestion is that there are too many poor people, who can't afford a premium service or old people, who won't buy the service.

BT's standard online availability checker (and everyone else's) could provide info like expected dates when fibre would be available for a particular line or that there are no plans to provide fibre on it, but they don't. You can find out if you use this site, though. https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Community/Broadband_Community/Coverage/ADSL_Availibility_Checker.html#

If it doesn't mention FTTC when you know you are on a fibre connected exchange then you are not going to get fibre anytime soon from BT.

Obviously, it is not in BT's (or other IPSs) commercial interest to say no hope so stop asking unless they are pushed so they don't. It pays them to keep consumers in the dark and encourage them to sign up for their other services instead. I find this deeply troubling when we live in an age when access to fibre can affect things like property values, employability, business viability and more besides.

All this said, and notwithstanding what you were told yesterday, there is hope for urban fibre not spots from a BT announcement today;

http://www.btplc.com/News/Articles/ShowArticle.cfm?ArticleID=A9F34ACC-532E-4278-8DBE-E4807626D1ED

If you can't wait for at least a year then I'd suggest moving.. If that means selling up then be as evasive as BT if a buyer asks about fibre. If they ask, then just tell them you are on a fibre enabled exchange, but you don't use the internet enough to make upgrading worth while.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions