London SE1 community website

Tesco, The Cut, SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Friday 1 November 2013 1.30am
think it will be quite nice having a tesco on the cut. Sainsburys only seem to d a small selection of microwave meals that i pick up on the way to and from work

i need more variety ;)
Monday 4 November 2013 11.53am
The Tesco Metro will be no different to Sainsbury's sadly. Mostly convenience stuff. There seem to be so many of these cookie-cutter stores opening in the area with choice getting reduced all the time. Another Tesco Metro is opening the other side of The Old Vic on Baylis Road. Sad times.
Monday 4 November 2013 2.35pm
My concern really is that this is an empty property and today I have received an email from Tesco Property department saying they know nothing of a branch being installed on 'The Cut' - so the plot thickens --- curiouser and curiouser - said Alice - hmmm.

This is obviously a dark dismal looking empty property and have written Southwark council twice and Tesco - negative from Tesco and no reply at all from LBS - so --- may not be Tesco after all so what is proposed there - or could it be connected with the developers re Southwark tube/joan street squatters property/Styles

House etc..
Monday 4 November 2013 2.44pm
Tesco have received planning permission for alterations to the frontage (replacing the roller-shutters on the left with ventilation louvres) so they certainly have/had an interest in the premises. And of course they wrote to local residents informing them of their intention to open a Tesco Express.

(nb Kenn12 - Tesco Metro stores are much bigger than the Tesco Express proposed for The Cut and Baylis Road)

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 4 November 2013 2.59pm
Thanks James ......wait and see ....... Be nice to see some light there anyway - bright -as the new Gordon Ramsay restaurant nearby.
Monday 4 November 2013 5.29pm
Have been emailed by Tesco. They are due to open "in Southwark"
14th May 2014.
Thursday 21 November 2013 10.45pm
Hoarding has now gone up in front of the shop, whereas Baylis Rd seems to be finished. Guess it is the same building team moving from one branch to another?
Thursday 5 December 2013 12.31pm
Signs now up: http://pic.twitter.com/eV11tWDeep

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 22 January 2014 10.24pm
Some good news!

They have installed a cash machine in one of the 2 old telephone boxes outside the new Tesco.

It is working already, and proudly displays that it's only 1.50 to get your cash using your Debit card - a bargain, and well worth it I think.
Wednesday 22 January 2014 10.55pm
They don't seem to be in any rush as Tesco is only now applying for a planning permission to change the shopfront http://planningonline.southwark.gov.uk/AcolNetCGI.exe?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeResultDetail&TheSystemkey=9552772
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions