London SE1 community website

Tesco, The Cut, SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Thursday 27 February 2014 10.15pm
Now they have posted a notice for the application to sell alcohol 6am to 11pm. Can't find it online, not sure why they can't transfer the old licence that seems to be still valid? Do they always need a new one with the change of owners?

http://app.southwark.gov.uk/Licensing/LicPremisesGrantedDetails.asp?systemkey=833064

But it seems Tesco is not planning to open all night like the old Costcutters did. So already worse service than before in that aspect.
Zoe
Thursday 27 February 2014 11.02pm
I noticed that on Christmas Day, there was nothing open as the independent supermarkets had closed. I rarely need anything at 2am but it was nice when I did.

Just as an aside, I had family down some years ago from the boonies where I am from and they were exicted to have so many shops open all night, as at that point they didn't even have Starbucks in their respective towns. Now they have 24 hour shopping nearby and I don't, how ironic.
Friday 28 February 2014 9.18am
The Sainsbury's Local on Waterloo Road is now open 24 hours

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 28 February 2014 9.48am
Well its noisy enough around Southwark tube station/The Cut - without any 24 hour opening.of anything around here.....of any supermarket......tubes/buses going all night (more or less) is there no rest for the wicked? . Notice Waitrose (nice civilised branch) open (since september apparently) at London Bridge - North end near Monument - be nice if they move further South West to us!
Friday 28 February 2014 2.21pm
Never saw or heard the Costcutters cause any extra noise when it was open 24hrs. It is meant to be a 24h city and people have different needs. Some of us work shifts. And I much rather have open shops in my streets at night than completely dead streets. But I guess Tesco is right as their targeted customers will have left the area on the last tube anyway, we have already established that they are not here for people who live here but for the passing trade.
Friday 28 February 2014 2.45pm
Noise causes stress and stress is a killer from where ever it originates - causing strokes. Heart attacks and consequently premature deaths.
Friday 28 February 2014 2.59pm
Veritas wrote:
Noise causes stress and stress is a killer from where ever it originates - causing strokes. Heart attacks and consequently premature deaths.

Blimey, it's a wonder any musician makes it into their 30s ;-)
Friday 28 February 2014 4.48pm
Boss St Bloke wrote:
Veritas wrote:

Blimey, it's a wonder any musician makes it into their 30s ;-)

Music has been used in psychological operations. The term music torture is sometimes used by critics of the practice of playing loud music incessantly to prisoners or people besieged. The United Nations and the European Court of Human Rights have banned the use of loud music in interrogations

"These people haven't heard heavy metal. They can't take it. If you play it for 24 hours, your brain and body functions start to slide, your train of thought slows down and your will is broken. That's when we come in and talk to them"

I love (and make) music btw. Anything from Scriabin to Queens of the Stone Age .
Zoe
Friday 28 February 2014 4.51pm
James, thanks for the info.

Veritas, I'm not sure 24 hour shops equals noise but of course it's a concern.

BSB, indeed it is, but I suspect it's something other than noise that is the cause.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions