London SE1 community website

Crab claws

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 3 November 2013 10.18am
I need a kilo of crab claws for a recipe. Anyone know if any of the fishmongers on East Street have them?
Monday 4 November 2013 2.19pm
Personally, I would never go to a fishmongers there. If you can smell the fish, they aren't fresh and I can barely walk down that street without throwing up the smell is so bad.
Monday 4 November 2013 2.29pm
Longdan at the top of the Walworth Road might have them frozen.
Tuesday 5 November 2013 12.01pm
No disresepect jcpse1, but I am glad I ignored your advice! Rose Bros at 213 East Street had exactly what I needed, a fresh delivery of crab claws that morning. This is a lovely old shop, been there for 50 years, although they are not open every day. Support this shop, it's great.

They are still using a receipt book with the phone number as RODney 3223.
Tuesday 5 November 2013 12.17pm
Andrew is that the one at OKR end of East Street?
Tuesday 5 November 2013 1.31pm
Andrew H wrote:
No disresepect jcpse1, but I am glad I ignored your advice! Rose Bros at 213 East Street had exactly what I needed, a fresh delivery of crab claws that morning. This is a lovely old shop, been there for 50 years, although they are not open every day. Support this shop, it's great.
They are still using a receipt book with the phone number as RODney 3223.

That's good to hear. I also had the impression that the fish sold on East Street wasn't fresh enough, but I gladly stand corrected.
Wednesday 6 November 2013 7.09pm
dee dee, it's at the corner of East Street and Thurlow Street, right by the 42 bus stop. Seems to be a father and son running it.

There are also two fishmongers on the market end of East Street. I quite often get mackerel for the grill from them, and haven't had any particular concerns about the fish not being fresh.

But Rose Bros is the real deal, I heartily recommend. The crab claws were huge and incredible, and fed 10 people for 30.

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions