London SE1 community website

More fire victims in Southwark?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6
Sunday 17 November 2013 11.30am
And there was I thinking our most local politician, Boris, was promoting the closure of Southwark Fire Station.
Or is it the value of the real estate that he is really concerned about?
Sunday 17 November 2013 12.38pm
LFEPA hopes to raise 50 million from the sale of the 10 fire stations earmarked for closure. The authority will decide next year how to spend the proceeds of the sell-offs.

Well, after reading this paragraph on the news section, it raises two points worthy of note -

Ive been told the proceeds will go into the GLA family pot not LFEPA's own

If LFEPA do gain this 50m pot - they should use that to offset any budget cuts in future years and protect the frontline from any further cutbacks, and not spend it on other things
Sunday 17 November 2013 3.21pm
some ones flat is on fire now in the tabard estate
and getting put out by the fire brigade.
me thinks cut backs is not so good
Monday 18 November 2013 11.36am
Is this just me wondering why the official http://www.london-fire.gov.uk/LatestIncidentsContainer_18111341.asp#.Uon5m-K7T3B
statement is not listing Southwark station's fire engine and staff?

Not sure whom I am more disappointed about
- Boris in being a mayor who gets his priorities so wrong
OR
- people who are too stupid to use incense sticks, honestly, really? What is so difficult with distinguishing those, or candles? Think, you are risking other people's lives.
Monday 18 November 2013 11.44am
FYI // from Twitter, just now:

London Fire Brigade @LondonFire

@savesouthwark Thanks, we've updated the website. It was Dowgate, Southwark, Peckham and Lambeth fire stations that attended.
Monday 18 November 2013 9.58pm
event update:

Save London Fire Stations 10 (@SLFS10) will be holding another Red Balloon Event at the London High Court on 26 November to coincide with the judicial review of the decision to close these stations.
Please contact them for more details: savelondonfirestations10@gmail.com

http://julieanneda.wordpress.com/2013/11/18/fire-service
Wednesday 20 November 2013 10.54am
for those of you not on twitter:

http://pic.twitter.com/hspPEUx3VC

posted by @savesouthwark this morning
Friday 22 November 2013 2.44pm
Did you know that the average London 'Fire' Fighter attends one real fire per week?

Do you know what they do for the rest of the time? Me neither.

Did you know fire fighters are referred to as daffodils by the rest of the emergency services due to their tendency to hang around in bunches with yellow tops not doing very much?

Did you know that the police and ambulance service officers actually have to work during the night rather than being able to sleep while on duty? In fact, do you know any other job where you get paid to sleep?
Friday 22 November 2013 4.33pm
zoomy, just for you, because you appear to be short of understanding, here's an answer to your question:

'Firefighters respond to emergency situations and primarily protect people, the environment and property from all types of accident and emergencies. They work closely with the local community to increase their level of fire safety awareness in order to help prevent fires and accidents occurring in the first place.

Firefighters promote fire safety and enforce fire safety standards in public and commercial premises by acting and advising on all matters relating to the protection of life and property from fire and other risks. Lectures, exercises, practice drills and other forms of training are an integral and ongoing part of the job.

-attending emergency incidents including fires, road accidents, floods, bomb incidents, spillages of -dangerous substances, and rail and air crashes;
rescuing trapped people and animals;
-minimising distress and suffering, including giving first aid before ambulance crews arrive;safeguarding their own and other people's personal safety at all times;
-responding quickly to unforeseen circumstances as they arise;
-cleaning up and checking the site after dealing with an incident;
-taking time to become familiar with local streets, roads and buildings around their own and nearby fire stations in order to respond to emergency calls with the utmost speed and efficiency;
-inspecting and maintaining the appliance (fire engine) and its equipment, assisting in the testing of fire hydrants and checking emergency water supplies;
-undertaking drills and physical training and taking part in training on techniques, use of equipment and related matters;
-maintaining the level of physical fitness necessary to carry out all the duties of a firefighter;
-maintaining links with the local community and educating and informing the public to help promote fire safety, e.g. giving talks in schools and to local organisations, and home visits to offer advice'.

I assume you were just trying to be provocative for the sake of it, but if not, I do hope that helps reduce your evident state of ignorance.
Friday 22 November 2013 5.04pm
How does stating some facts that are true make me lack understanding?

I worked at LFB for 5 years, and left 2 months ago.

Here's a link to the article I mentioned re daffodils and sleeping on the job:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/feb/07/firefighters-trumpton-jokes-emergency-services

Firefighters have been so successful in their community work that the number of fires in London has drastically reduced, therefore they put out less fires, therefore they need less fire stations and fire appliances. Seems to make sense to me.

Should we still have a fire service infrastructure that was designed to protect London 100 odd years ago? Ot should it modernise the way it delivers it's service to better reflect the needs of London now and use its resources more effectively?

Perhaps they should work in offices and drive round in minis to do their community work, rather than operate from a fire station?

Maybe they don't need to send 2 fire appliances when someone reports a leak in their boiler?

Or maybe they should bury their heads in the sand?

I assume you are calling me ignorant and provocative because I have a different viewpoint to you. That's fine. I respect your viewpoint, I'm just stating some facts.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions