London SE1 community website

More fire victims in Southwark?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6
Friday 22 November 2013 6.51pm
zoomy wrote:
I assume you are calling me ignorant and provocative because I have a different viewpoint to you. That's fine. I respect your viewpoint, I'm just stating some facts.

Your assumption is wrong. Your original post gave no indication that your comments were based on personal experience. In isolation from your qualifying comments adding another angle to the debate it just appeared to be a bitter, nasty bit of sniping for the sake of it.

Other than directly quote the job description, I haven't stated my viewpoint here at all.
Saturday 23 November 2013 4.32pm
Zoomy - for someone who says they worked for the London Fire Brigade for 5 years, your claim you don't know what they do when not on emergency calls - shows you had no interest in the job you was doing!

Maybe you 'were' one of the FRS staff who's been given their notice and not getting the 10k pay off being offered?
Sunday 24 November 2013 12.51pm
For anyone to think that all firefighters do is sit around waiting for fires to happen, they've obviously been living in cloud cuckoo land.

Firefighters don't just fight fires, they go into unsafe buildings, such as the building in Hackney, which is so unsafe they may have to have to pull it down.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25078242

Then there's the incident yesterday, where a car crashed into a house.

Then there's the support work they do, such as yesterday when two friends of mine rescued their neighbour from a burning house in Hull. They stayed with the old man holding his hand as he passed away. The firefighters supported my friends in the aftermath. They had just buried their brother the day before.

Being a firefighter is not just about fighting fires. It's so much more.

I can't thank the firefighters who helped my friends yesterday enough, for being there when others couldn't, to help and support them through what must have been a harrowing experience
Monday 25 November 2013 2.55pm
Just as a little reminder, here is Ross Kemp explaining why every second is of such importance in case of fire or smoke. Closing 10 stations, cutting 14 engines, 2 FRUs and the expertise and (wo)men power of 550 fire fighters will cost lives:

Ross Kemp explaining importance of fire safety

On Tuesday, the day when it will be decided if there is judicial review a rally will be held:

Red Balloon Event at the London High Court on Tuesday, 26 November 2013 from 9:30 a.m.
contact for more details: savelondonfirestations10@gmail.com
Please join concerned citizens and fire fighters if you can.

Thanks, please stay safe & watch your candles!
Monday 25 November 2013 5.10pm
and more details about the protest and the JR tomorrow

Royal Courts of Justice frequently asked questions
http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/rcj-rolls-building/rcj/faqs#.UpN66_xI300.facebook

People's Republic of Southwark website:
http://www.peoplesrepublicofsouthwark.co.uk/hold-news/news/3281-save-southwark-fire-station-protest#.UpN4sERdNoA.twitter
Tuesday 26 November 2013 4.28pm
short update:

The permission for a JR was granted. Good news indeed.

The LFB twitter says 'Hearing scheduled to conclude on Thursday, but verdict unlikely to be given on that day'
Thursday 28 November 2013 10.16pm
Short update: the judicial review will reconvene for a fourth day on Friday from 10 a.m.

If you fancy following the final statements of both sides on twitter:
Ian Leahair @ecmemberlondon
Friday 29 November 2013 12.05pm
The fourth and final day of the judicial review brought by several councils (including Southwark) regarding the planned cuts into the London fire cover has now ended.
Lord Justice Foskett will try to give judgement before Christmas but did not guarantee this. It might be early 2014.

The planned day for closing fire stations and selling off / renting out the land was the 9th January 2014. Hopefully the LFB will wait till the judgement is announced before going through with their plans.

To everybody here in Southwark supporting the campaign may I please use this opportunity to say a big thank you for all your efforts and encouragement.
Wednesday 11 December 2013 9.50am
Please save the day: action planned for Wednesday, 8th January 2014

till then, the petition is still open:
http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/save-our-firestations
Friday 20 December 2013 12.32pm
Sad news, I'm afraid.

This lunchtime the judgement was handed down, and the councils (and therefore all us citizens who wanted the fire stations not to be closed) have lost.
Their legal strategy was very risky, and now we know the mayor's strategists were smarter.

I have not yet read the judgement; here is the only yet published statement: http://www.mayorwatch.co.uk/high-court-bid-to-block-london-fire-brigade-cuts-fails/201329157

Next time roofs collapses, take-aways burn down or people have to be rescued from busses, they all have to wait longer. A sad day for London.

To everybody who supported out fight, many thanks!

And to all residents of Southwark, be even more careful with candles, chip pans and heaters. From the 9th January you might have to wait 12 minutes or longer just for an engine to turn up. Watch out for your neighbours please.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions