London SE1 community website

Cycling in Central London

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 21
Thursday 21 November 2013 11.04am
Interesting video about sharing road space -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vzDDMzq7d0

Rather long, but worth waiting to see how it all works out in the end - cars, HGVs, cyclists and pedestrians all calmly sharing space, giving way to each other - and traffic moving smoothly through.
Thursday 21 November 2013 11.54am
John C wrote:

Rather long, but worth waiting to see how it all works out in the end - cars, HGVs, cyclists and pedestrians all calmly sharing space, giving way to each other - and traffic moving smoothly through.

Do you know if there are any objective reports on this and if the regenerations scheme has been acknowledged/analysed let alone been considered by Johnson and Co.? In principle I like the idea, but I wonder if it's feasible, not only financially, to turn London, or only just parts of it, into Poynton.
Thursday 21 November 2013 12.24pm
Montecore wrote:
Here's a genuinely shocking video demonstrating an HGV's blind "spot". Makes me even more determined to stay well behind the buggers when on my bike.
http://dutchbikeguy.wordpress.com/2013/11/18/ultra-shocking-video-about-lorry-blind-spots/
Lorry blindspots can be huge. From time to time the police bring a lorry along, and stop cyclists/motorcyclists and invite them to sit in the cab to see for themselves.

To be fair, though, most lorries generally have had blooming big stickers on the back saying "If you can't see my mirrors, then I can't see you", and this has been the case for a long time. As a motorcyclist, I'm very aware of the blindspots. I know that you can argue that the point of cycling is to nip through gaps that other traffic can't get through*, but in my observation it's pretty common for cyclists to put themselves in spots alongside/between vehicles that I'd never consider putting myself in.

The number of cyclist/lorry accidents recently is awful. Banning lorries in rush hour would obviously reduce this. However, my concern is that unless we do something to educate/remind cyclists of the dangers of putting themselves right alongside a lorry/in its blindspot/etc, then these deaths will still happen (albeit out of rush hour). I struggle to believe that lorry drivers set off thinking that they want to be involved in an accident, any more than I believe that cyclists want to be in an accident. I'd suggest that both parties need to have a think and modify their behaviour.

* I wouldn't argue that myself, by the way.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 21 November 2013 12.51pm
Update the highway code to cater for the changes to traffic behaviour that for example the influx of cyclists demands. Most people in traffic at peak time are workers, so they know hey should be used to learning new skills :)
Thursday 21 November 2013 1.28pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Update the highway code to cater for the changes to traffic behaviour that for example the influx of cyclists demands. Most people in traffic at peak time are workers, so they know hey should be used to learning new skills :)
Is it the case that people who drive 'for a living', whether that be taxis, HGVs or whatever have to keep up to date with the highway code and any changes introduced?

I agree with the above that more education is need to stop cyclists putting themselves in a position of danger alongside drivers who can't see them. There's a temptation as a cyclist to try and get yourself in to the advanced cycle box (if it is not filled with cars/vans/buses) before the traffic starts moving, but you will have to put yourself in a dangerous position to get there - for me it is just too big a risk for clearly not enough benefit.

Yes, cycling allows you to filter through traffic - this is one of the perks - but it has to be done safely, properly, and with care for yourself and others.
Thursday 21 November 2013 1.48pm
Guy's street wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Is it the case that people who drive 'for a living', whether that be taxis, HGVs or whatever have to keep up to date with the highway code and any changes introduced?.
Nope, everybody of course, including pedestrians. Apologies if that wasn't clear.
Thursday 21 November 2013 2.11pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
John C wrote:

Do you know if there are any objective reports on this and if the regenerations scheme has been acknowledged/analysed let alone been considered by Johnson and Co.? In principle I like the idea, but I wonder if it's feasible, not only financially, to turn London, or only just parts of it, into Poynton.

Interesting video.

I don't know how much the GLA/TfL have thought about this sort of thing. The only place I can think of where something like it has been tried in London is around the Science Museum.

I've not much experience of it but, on the odd occasion when I've been there (usually at chucking out time at the Albert Hall, when there are loads of pedestrians about), a significant number of motorists gun down the road (presumably expecting people to get out of their way) and intimidating pedestrians to the margin of the street.
Thursday 21 November 2013 3.33pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
John C wrote:

There are some comments pro- and anti- at
http://www.urbanmovement.co.uk/2/post/2013/06/low-speed-steady-flow-in-poynton-oli-davey.html

I tried Poynton's own forum site http://www.poyntonweb.co.uk/poynton_forum.htm but (unlike SE1) there didn't seem to be a way of searching for relevant messages. (Though I noticed complaints about the new road surface breaking up.)

No it wouldn't happen in London. Poynton is at a junction of two major A-roads. In London these are managed by TfL - it would take a major change of policy on their part away from the present 'speed the through traffic at all costs' before they would consider anything like this.
Thursday 21 November 2013 3.50pm
John C wrote:
No it wouldn't happen in London. Poynton is at a junction of two major A-roads. In London these are managed by TfL - it would take a major change of policy on their part away from the present 'speed the through traffic at all costs' before they would consider anything like this.

Apart from the politics, do you think it would be feasible purely from a financial/practical/cultural point of view? That's what I have doubts about.
Thursday 21 November 2013 4.53pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
John C wrote:

Apart from the politics, do you think it would be feasible purely from a financial/practical/cultural point of view? That's what I have doubts about.

Good question, eDWaRD. I've no idea. The Poynton junction apparently 'handles around 26,000 vehicles per day, including a substantial proportion of articulated HGVs'. How does that compare with a typical inner London crossroads? We obviously have far more buses than they do in rural Cheshire, for a start!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 21

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions