London SE1 community website

Cycling in Central London

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 21
Thursday 21 November 2013 4.54pm
Read this story today:

A Dutch lady living in London cycles home every night. She has one of those old-fashioned Dutch granny-bikes with saddlebags, usually filled with shopping, so she is no Cavendish unlike most of her fellow cyclists, whizzing past her on their flash sportbikes. Although she is slightly embarrassed by her snail's pace,she holds on to her Dutch ways. One day a sweaty, lycra-clad boyracer moves next to her and asks: “Which way are you going?” When she explains she is on her way home, he says: “No, I mean, what route do you take?" Puzzled, she looks at him and he clarifies: "Everyday I overtake you and then a quarter of an hour later, I find myself behind you again, always in this spot. So I want to know: What route do you take?”
Friday 22 November 2013 1.26pm
Boss St Bloke.

Police stopping cyclists for "wearing headphones" should spend their time better, by checking lorries for problems, ticketing drivers going into the ASL when the light is red, etc etc.. all these things are illegal. wearing headphones on a bike is not.

recently police stopped 20 HGVs and found 60 problems with them! so lets start focussing on the killers not the victims first yea?

oh, and by th way, were any of the recent deaths attributed to cyclists wearing headphones?
NO

so why focus on the cyclists behaviour?!

while im on a rant, i'd like to put it in a different way. maybe it will be easier to understand -

"The rape victim was not wearing knickers at the time of the event."

Must be the fault of the victim then, so let's focus on telling everyone to wear knickers all the time!

Wouldn't happen would it?!

Well, read this
http://primlystable.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/dead-cyclists-missing-helmets-and.html
it's just the same! Victim blaming must end.
blaming the 6 cyclists, who have recently died, for their own deaths is not acceptable
Friday 22 November 2013 1.29pm
catflatp.
Show me EVIDENCE of a recent or regular collision caused by a cyclist jumping a red light.
show me evidence of a cyclist causing HARM to someone by doing this!
i dont advocate cyclists cyaling thru red lights or on the pavement, but it hardly deserves their death!
a cyclist jumping a red light is a bit different than a car doing the same thing. which happens ALL the time in central london. have a look next time u r at a busy junction. i bet you dont have to wait long to see it.

i regularly pull away at a GREEN light, only to find another vehicle still whizzing thru the crossing perpendicular to me!
Friday 22 November 2013 1.30pm
well said zoe!
some people just dont get it.
most cyclist obide the laws.
same as most motorists obide the laws.

the difference is the few motorists who drive recklessly KILL.
the cyclist merely cause a minor irritance
Friday 22 November 2013 1.31pm
Debrajoan wrote:
On the letters page of today's Evening Standard a cyclist gave his reason for going through lights that were red;
If I stopped at them all it would double my commute time.
Even if that is just a few cyclist's outlook, then it will come as no surprise to me if I carry on reading of more cyclist deaths.

none of the recent cyclist deaths were because they were jumping red lights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Friday 22 November 2013 1.34pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
My suggestions would be:compulsory Hi Vis vests and helmets. If your at a set of lights alongside an HGV,it goes before you do.Get up earlier and have a leisurely ride to work.

There is one rule that makes sense to me whereby a driver who turns left (or right in Europe) moves to the curb, so there is no space between the vehicle and the curb for a cyclist to be alongside it. You are either behind or in front of that vehicle. In the case of an HGV, I'd rather be behind it and stay there until it's done its turn. Just saying, there are some very basic rules that even if you were from Mars would be easy to implement / adhere too.

edward. great idea!
problem is TFL designs all the cycle paths to be 50cm wide and on the left. encouraging inexperienced cyclists to go down the left of a car (which may not be indicating).
cycle lanes should be on the centre, between lane 1 and 2
Friday 22 November 2013 1.36pm
Cycling is a minority method of transport throughout the UK. We are a nation heavily reliant on cars and there are now two generations who have known no different other than Car is King.
[/quote wrote:

something like 50% of traffic crossing bridges over the thames from south to north at rush hour are cyclists.
hardly minority.

what is minority is lorries. they are 5% of the traffic and cause 50% of the cyclist deaths.
and people still point the finger at cyclists!!!
Friday 22 November 2013 1.40pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Guy's street wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Update the highway code to cater for the changes to traffic behaviour that for example the influx of cyclists demands. Most people in traffic at peak time are workers, so they know hey should be used to learning new skills :)
Is it the case that people who drive 'for a living', whether that be taxis, HGVs or whatever have to keep up to date with the highway code and any changes introduced?.
Nope, everybody of course, including pedestrians. Apologies if that wasn't clear.

do what you want with the highway code. no motorist is ever going to bother reading it unless they are taking their test!

show me any other "heavy machinery" (eg like a car) where you dont have to retrain or retest every 5 or ten years! they dont exist. drivers should have to brush up on practical and theory tests. when new highway code is published drivers should be forced to READ it.
in the construction industry regular training is given and certificates and tests are taken. why not for driving a car!

i can drive, i took my test 10 years go, but ive barely driven since i passed. yet legally im allowed to hop in a car and cruise thru central london at 30mph! death would be inevitable!
Friday 22 November 2013 2.00pm
and Robin Hood do you not think cyclists should have to read the highway code as well and understand road positioning etc??
The real culprit here is the lack of investment and foresight in road planning
blaming one party or another will not help a serious review into making street safer is needed and recommendation that are acted on
Friday 22 November 2013 2.15pm
dee dee wrote:
and Robin Hood do you not think cyclists should have to read the highway code as well and understand road positioning etc??
The real culprit here is the lack of investment and foresight in road planning
blaming one party or another will not help a serious review into making street safer is needed and recommendation that are acted on

Agreed. There is a solution to this, other (foreign) cities have managed as well and so can we.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 21

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions